spark-plug & plug-wires brand? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Dodge 4x4 vehicles All discussion of Dodge trucks, Ramchargers, Plymouth and SUV's...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-05-2002, 11:49 PM
moe

spark-plug & plug-wires brand?

I have a '82 Dodge Van, 360 V8. It currently has a Mallory
Ignition, Mallory Wires. I don't recall the spark plug brand, but I have used Champion in the past.

What is the best spark plug to use? The local stores have been recommending AC Delco resistive ($1.29). They say the Bosch Platinum ($1.99), won't give any noticeable difference. What about Autolite, Champion..the basic resistive plugs? I notice Autolite has a platinum version.

My Mallory wires have been there for 5 years (my van is not a daily car), I should probably change them. Any recommendations on brand? I have some old Accel wires (custom) lying around for 15 years. I've heard of Autolite wires ($28), Borg Warner Nascar ($41).

With respect to above (wires & plugs), I need something bang-for-buck. Not anything crazy, i.e. shelling out tons of $$ for 3% performance increase.

Thanks for any help.

Moe

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-06-2002, 02:28 AM
moe

Re: spark-plug & plug-wires brand?

http://dodgeram.org/tech/gas/spark_p...park_plugs.htm

Champion Champion Truck Autolite
Stock RC12YC 4071 3924

"The stock plug for the Dodge Magnum 318/360 V8s and the 3.9L V6 is the Champion RC12YC so we will use it as an example.
The "YC" means "Projected Nose." Quoting from Champion......
"This gap style projects the spark an additional .060 inch into the combustion chamber for a total projection of 0.210 inch, and providing there is sufficient clearance to valves and pistons, provides the ultimate in performance. Initiating the flame front closer to the center of the combustion chamber has a similar effect to advancing the timing. Therefore, maximum timing may be reduced which helps reduce the chance of detonation and provides superior part throttle response. A second valuable feature of this style is a broader heat range. The core nose is longer, providing a 'hotter' plug at low speed which helps prevent fouling. As engine speed increases, the incoming air/fuel mixture flows across the tip of the core nose, providing charge cooling which effectively reduces heat range at higher engine speeds for increased preignition and detonation protection."

I think I'm leaning toward staying with a Champion RC12YC. Anything else, I'm changing parameters.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it"

If anyone has some compelling testimony of non-Champion RC12YC plugs, I may try it.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2002, 06:36 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: spark-plug & plug-wires brand?

Champion RN-12YC plugs, and a set of Niehoff Gold series wires.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode