360 vs 440 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Dodge 4x4 vehicles All discussion of Dodge trucks, Ramchargers, Plymouth and SUV's...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-05-2002, 10:57 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

360 vs 440

I have access to a 440 and my 360 is in need of a rebuild the 440 will come with a transmission that is set up for 2 wheel
Question is should I go with the big block or should I rebuild my 360 and will the 2 wheel transmission bolt up to my transfer case after removing the tailshaft housing or will I need an output shaft. Both transmissions are 727's and my transfercase is a np208
thanks

http://www.bastroptx4x4.alloffroad.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-06-2002, 10:31 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: 360 vs 440

You have to ask? There is no replacement for displacement, and the wieght difference is slight between the 2. I'm no expert but my understanding is that yes the tranny should bolt up beings as both are 727's, I could be wrong. Somebody? BTW, what are you puting it in, a truck or one of your jeeps?

YOU NEVER KNOW TILL YOU TRY
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-06-2002, 11:26 AM
Can't Get Enough

hey what are you doing posting over here? get back to the Jeep board right now mister [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

http://bastroptx4x4.alloffroad.com
or for pictures
http://photos.yahoo.com/cj8r
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-06-2002, 12:34 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

440, no question. If this 440 is out of a truck, it ought to be espcially easy. As for the tranny, you will need to swap the output shaft and tail housing from the small block 727 to the bigblock housing.

Mopars and 4x4s

post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-06-2002, 09:08 PM
Keyboard Implanted

My vote is for the Big Block as well. You will never regret putting a 440 in place of a small block...you didn't really get that good of gas mileage with the 360 anyways...right? Larsen is right about the trans swapping as well, as long as they are both 727's, you need the Big Block's housing (and guts) and the 4x4's output shaft. The only thing that should be different on those transmissions is the bolt pattern of the housing where it bolts to the motor.

Hey, what are all you Jeep guys doing over here !?

Mike H.
1983 CJ-7 Laredo, 1991 Cherokee Ltd.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-06-2002, 10:51 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks
and yes it is going in my truck, my dad was saying something about the 440 being notorious for mechanical problems, is this true or is he crazy. The motor is out of a 78 dodge 3/4 ton and only has 40 thousand miles on the rebuild

post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-06-2002, 11:16 PM
Keyboard Implanted

The only problem that I know of is they are notorious for breaking driveline parts that aren't up to the task! Any BB MoPar is as reliable as rocks and fire. There are no inherent problems with them. All of the "cool" hot rod stuff that the aftermarket has come up with for Chevy's like shaft rockers and "Air Gap" intake manifolds, BB MoPars have had from the fac-tree since the introduction of the 361 about 40 some years ago. You cannot go wrong with this engine!
Just a testimony to the reliability of this engine, My old Drag car ('74 Plymouth Duster) had a mild 440, 9:1 pistons, stock rod's/steel crank, 906 heads w/big valves and a MP .590" lift cam. It ran 10.70's all day, and had 11 seasons on it when I bought the car. I put three more seasons on it and sold it to a guy with a '64 Sport Fury when I ended my racing career (mariage). He still runs that motor, untouched to the tune of 11.20's through exhaust. Notorious for problems...indeed.

Mike H.
1983 CJ-7 Laredo, 1991 Cherokee Ltd.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-07-2002, 10:29 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks again
the big block it will be

post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2002, 07:06 AM
Keyboard Implanted

You wouldn't by any chance be interested in a set of headers for that BB mopar, would you? As far as for us jeepers being here, I was, and always will be, hard core mopar anything. Oh, and no offense to your dad, but I think he's crazy, probably been driveing a furd or cheby to long.
YOU NEVER KNOW TILL YOU TRY
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2002, 09:48 PM

I would love to put in my 440 camper motor into my 95 ram :-) and say bye to the 360, I was told this type of 440 has the monster power due to it being in a 34 foot long camper/ practically semi! This one guy said with the heads it got, then its probally pushing over 400 horse and it has the auto tranny with it with headers and a small tunnel ram intake with a 600 edelbrock 4 barrell carberator... I now need to get it started, its just sitting on one of my old boggers covered up.

http://bbs.off-road.com/wwwthreads//...collapsed&sb=5

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode