Traction device in rear axle? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Dodge 4x4 vehicles All discussion of Dodge trucks, Ramchargers, Plymouth and SUV's...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-03-2002, 03:08 AM
SHOTGUN

Traction device in rear axle?

Does anyone know how I can tell if my Dodge has some kind of traction aidding device in the rear axle? If I'm in something loose like gravel or grass and I slip the clutch a little quick it leaves two tire marks, but hell the things a diesel and its got plenty of torque![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-03-2002, 10:14 PM

Re: Traction device in rear axle?

Take your VIN number to the dealer ship and have them run a computer print out of all options your truck came with. It should be free, i've had it done on two of my vehicles. And it will tell you what axles you have, gearing, and traction device, either a limited slip of open diff... SUPERSWAMPER

post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-05-2002, 01:01 AM
Keyboard Implanted

If it's got a factory limited slip it will have a tag on the diff cover that reads "Use Limited Slip Lubricant Only". At least my '95 did.

Mike H.
1983 CJ-7 Laredo, 1991 Cherokee Ltd.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-09-2002, 03:13 AM
SHOTGUN

I forgot my factory window sticker was in a book in the glove box, previous 2 owners were nice enough to save it. It says I have the anti-spin differential, is that basically a limited-slip? Maybe someone can tell me.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-07-2002, 07:32 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yes, its a limited slip. I just did the fluid in my rear axle. Its barely noticable, as the clutches are in the sides of the carrier, behind the sidegears. One note...if you dont put the "special fluid" in, it WILL chatter. Note #2. The "special fluid" better be pretty damn special...it comes in a nail polish size bottle....like 2 ounces for about $12 at your "friendly" dodge dealer.

-Remy
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-09-2002, 05:08 PM
bigwishlist

What if you lifted the rear end off the ground and turned one tire forward? If the other tire turns forward also you have a rear traction devise. If the two tires go in opposite diferctions then they are not connected. I think.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-09-2002, 05:27 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Bigwish,

Thats incorrect. Most automatic lockers and limited slips require power input from the pinion (driveshaft) to lock. Thats how a Detroit Locker unlocks when coasting around turns...without power input from the pinion, it allows the springs to push the locking collars apart. lifting the rear end and turning one tire is the same as coasting around a turn, to the traction device....

-remy
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-09-2002, 05:55 PM
bigwishlist

OK then void what I sayed. And thanks for the clarification.
So does it work with a welded rear and a spool?
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-09-2002, 08:08 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

An axle with A welded diff or a spool will ALWAYS rotate both wheels in the same direction at the exact same RPM, therefore you test would be valid on that, and you'd have to havea tire scrub and grind on the pavement making a turn, making these two differential options mostly for off-road use only.

-remy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode