Electric Fan??? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Dodge 4x4 vehicles All discussion of Dodge trucks, Ramchargers, Plymouth and SUV's...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2002, 09:53 PM
STONECOLD

Electric Fan???

Greetings my fellow Americans. I just bought a 1992 Dodge Dakota regular cab with the 2.5 4 banger with an electric fan. Never owned a vehicle with an electric one before. My question is. I noticed the fan wasnt running ever. It had been getting kinda hot (I havent driven it over 1 mile yet) I checked the relay box under the hood, and popped the relay out and plugged it back in. The fan started working then. However it would only run for about 10 seconds then shut off for a minute or two, then come back on for 10 more seconds then repeat the process. It didnt matter if the engine temp was hot or cold. I felt of the fan motor, but it didnt feel hot. Do you think the relay is bad causing the fan to act this way? Or what else could it be.

Also my temp gauge fluctuates from hot to cold rather quickly (whether the fan is on or not) and just goes from really hot to really cold and then levels out, then does it all over again. It does it all in a matter of seconds? I am going to try to replace the thermostat tommorrow.

I hope this all makes sense.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2002, 11:24 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Electric Fan???

the fan switch is probably controlled by the heat sensor, change it and the relay and it will probably solve the fan and temp guage problem.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2002, 04:02 PM
STONECOLD

OK. I bought a new relay today. Then I noticed what was happening is that the fan only comes on when the A/C compressor comes on. They come on togeather and shut off togeather. The A/C isnt even on but the heater was. So I disconnected the wire to the compressor and the fan kept running so I thought it was fixed. So then I cut the heater off to see what would happen and the fan cut off and wouldnt start again until I turned on the Heater/ A/C. It appears to be running off of the A/C and heater system????? What gives?? I know I saw a fuse in the relay box under the hood that says Radiator fan and AC ??? I just dont know? Everything appears to be stock, I dont see any splices ECT???
Help me out?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2002, 06:17 PM
Keyboard Implanted

On some vehicles the A/C compressor kicks on when you are in defrost or heat to remove some of the moisture from the air. Also on most vehicles when the A/C compressor kicks on so does the AUX fan.

"Every form of refuge has it's price."
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2002, 09:31 PM
STONECOLD

OK. But when they come on togeather they only stay on for 10 seconds then kick off for a minute or so, and then do it all again. But when I unplugged the compressor the fan stays on unless I turn off the heater/ac control?

post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-01-2002, 12:34 AM
Keyboard Implanted

That does sound a bit screwy.

"Every form of refuge has it's price."
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-01-2002, 06:44 PM
STONECOLD

I still cant figure out what is up. I am just going to rewire the fan so that it comes on when the truck is started. And leave the A/C on that circit.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-01-2002, 10:32 PM

I would hook it up to a switch thru the ignition so you can shut it off when you don't need it, like first thing in the morning or highway driving where theres plenty of air moving anyway...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode