Turbo silencer? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Dodge 4x4 vehicles All discussion of Dodge trucks, Ramchargers, Plymouth and SUV's...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2002, 06:42 PM Thread Starter

Turbo silencer?

<font face="Times New Roman">
<font color=green>I've heard rumors about a "silencer" that comes from the factory on the turbos in the late model Rams on the Cummins TD. I've also heard that if you remove this silencer you get a real cool turbo whine, like a big rig. Any truth to that? The things are so loud that I don't know why Dodge would bother trying to keep the turbo quiet, but I guess alot of people wouldn't like listening to it. ANyways, a buddy of mine has a 2001 2500 with the TD and I told him I heard about this, now he's all excited to remove... er... whatever needs to be removed... Any help?

Evan[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
Ugly Brown Truck v2.0 coming soon(ish)!</font color=green>

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2002, 04:18 PM
Mud in my Veins

Re: Turbo silencer?

yeah, back when i was considering getting a diesel i read about lots of guys that had removed their "silencer ring" to get that cool turbo sound. i dont have a clue how to do it but the option is there for sure.

S H O U L D A G O T T A F O R D!

www.ArkansasMud.com
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-01-2002, 03:23 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have not removed mine yet, but from what i understand it is very simple to do. Maybe a 5 -10 minute job. Pull the tube from the turbo to the air filter. inside the turbo you will see a ring that is held in place by a big snap ring. carefully work the snap ring out and viola, you can now pull the silencer ring.

have you checked out http://www.turbodieselregister.com/? careful though, it is addictive!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-02-2002, 03:29 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I removed my silencer ring in my diesel. Its not really that loud, kinda sounds like a dentist's drill. I have a straight pipe on my truck so I can't really hear it anyway. Use 2 flathead screwdrivers to pop out the snap ring that holds it in place, it takes about 5 min to do.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode