Cummins starting problem - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Dodge 4x4 vehicles All discussion of Dodge trucks, Ramchargers, Plymouth and SUV's...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-22-2002, 01:02 AM
SHOTGUN

Cummins starting problem

Ok I had my fuel filter replaced today by my local dealer(OUCH![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]) but it needed to be done and I needed to learn the right way to do it(they let me watch!). Anyhow I thought it would cure this problem too while it might maybe increase my mileage.... a bit? Old filter was past gone! and the inside of the housing was dirty too!

Anyhow it seems like it takes my Cummins longer to start. Like it just sits there spin'n and spin'n and spin'n for a few seconds and THEN it fires up. But I noticed today that if I barely press the gas pedal when I turn the key it fires RIGHT UP!?! Any idea what is wrong? Will it hurt to do this to make it start up sooner? I'd really like to find out because I intended to keep this truck for a long time and I don't want any problems with it. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-22-2002, 09:05 PM

Re: Cummins starting problem

You probaly need to bleed the air out of the fuel line, theres should be a screw on the side or just loosen up the line till it comes out solid with no air. A buddy here works at the local dodge dealer and that is what he says, good luck! 48's :-) or bust!

post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-22-2002, 09:55 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Ive had my 99 Ram for two years. Ive got 75,000 miles on it and replaced the fuel filter four times. Ive found it annoying trying to start the truck right after the new filter has been installed, but other than that, I havent had a problem with the start up. Good luck man.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-23-2002, 02:08 AM
SHOTGUN

No No SS you misunderstood my post. I've had this problem since I got the truck. I thought having the filter replaced yesterday would HELP, BUT it needed to be done anyways. I'll try that bleeder valve though my dealership was nice enough to let me stand there and watch the guy do it and he explained everything to me ( real nice especially cause I'm only 18)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode