Solid Front End Conversion for Durango - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Dodge 4x4 vehicles All discussion of Dodge trucks, Ramchargers, Plymouth and SUV's...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-21-2002, 12:13 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Solid Front End Conversion for Durango

I have a 99' Dodge Durango that I want to switch to a Solid Front Axle.. what all do I need.. I have a 4in suspension lift with 33s right now.. I know I am going to need spring hangers and four inch springs.. what type for what car? Now what are my options for the solid front axle? Its a Driver's side drop so what are my options? Good idea or what?

<font color=red>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] '78 CJ7 sold, 94 Cherokee 2WD 6[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]</font color=red>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-21-2002, 01:14 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Solid Front End Conversion for Durango

Sounds like a great idea to me! I would look into a late model Ram front setup. Axle, coil springs, 4 link bars and all. They should be a drivers drop as well (It's been a while since I sold my '95) The overall width may be a bit on the wide side, but I'd bet the height of stock 1/2 ton springs would be a close match to the 4" rear springs you have now. get out the tape measure and let us know!

Mike H.
1983 CJ-7 Laredo, 1991 Cherokee Ltd.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-21-2002, 02:58 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

What all would be involved?

<font color=red>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] '78 CJ7 sold, 94 Cherokee 2WD 6[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]</font color=red>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-22-2002, 12:50 AM
Keyboard Implanted

If the axle is the correct width (or a liveable dimention) and assuming you are using a Ram front end, you would have to...

Locate and weld on mounts for the four link bars to your frame. This would include moving the brackets on the axle if the width id wrong for the Durango frame.

The coil spring perches will have to be installed (somewhere) on the Durango frame as Durangos use torsion bars. You can determine ride height by where you mount the perches.

Steering: The Durango is Rack and Pinion, the Ram uses a standard gearbox and linkage to each steering knuckle. But both axles (Durango and Ram) are front steer, you would have to decide which system you are going to go with. I don't think the R&P would work that well with a longer travel suspention, but changing to gearbox would be a pain.

At this point shock mounts and brake lines are the little things, but they do have to be addressed. All of this sounds like a big pain for two more inches of tire. I'm not much of a fabricator and I've just hit on the 'hi' spots (I know I missed a ton). For more detailed info on a custom swap like this you might want to check out the Toyota board (they are always swapping solids where IFS used to be) or the Short Wheelbase Jeep board. You wont find a better group of fabricators than those guys! I'm thinkin' a body lift and cutout fender flares would be the ticket. Good luck with your decision.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Mike H.
1983 CJ-7 Laredo, 1991 Cherokee Ltd.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode