Just Bought a Dodge. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Dodge 4x4 vehicles All discussion of Dodge trucks, Ramchargers, Plymouth and SUV's...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2002, 05:07 PM Thread Starter

Just Bought a Dodge.

Howdy all. I've been over on the Chevy boards(owned '97 ZR2 and a '99 Z71), but I bought a Dodge Ram Quad Cab Saturday. It has the 5.2L V8 and Automatic Transmission with 24,000 miles. I am by no means an expert on Dodges so I have a question. Say you had $500.00 to play with for this truck what would you do(upgrade, accessories, etc.) and why. Any and all information would be appreciated. P.S. you will be seeing me around here quite a bit.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2002, 12:15 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Just Bought a Dodge.

I guess we would have to know what you plan on doing with the truck before we could suggest mods. I guess my first buys would be some recovery gear. A winch is out of the $500 budget, but you could pick up a Hi-Lift Jack, good tow rope, a heavy duty come-a-long (not the cheapy sheet metal ones you get at the hardware store) and a folding Army shovel. This stuff should get you out of a stuck, with or without another truck around (although you should never go wheelin' alone). Also, invest in a good first aid kit that has more than just some neosporin and a half dozen band aids. If youv'e got some left over after that, a quality set of off road lights would come in handy as well! Good luck.

Mike H.
1983 CJ-7 Laredo
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2002, 07:19 PM Thread Starter

I guess I wasn't real clear with my question. I am asking for Dodge specific upgrades since you all know what works and what doesn't. As far as basic 4x4ing accessories I have. I guess I am looking more for(dual exhaust, k&n, headers, chip,etc.) What will give me the most bang for my buck. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2002, 08:42 PM

I personally would do the exhaust first, a cat back is usually around $200 and dual exhaust from the exhaust manifolds back are around $400-$600 depending if you use cats. I hate catylic converters, they don't last with me, damn things keep on clogging and they then cause my egr to mess up so it then costs me for 2 things to fix. Warranty covers the cat up to 80,000 miles so they paid for that twice. This time its my turn and I now have dual high flow cats (after market), I think I will hollow them pigs out, damn things, I don't want to buy a second set.
Plus the sound of new exhaust with flow masters or other just makes it sound so nice...

post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2002, 12:45 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Sorry for misunderstanding the question. With that in mind, I would also go with a cat back system and the Mopar Performance computer. The computer alone is worth 20+ horsepower and reportedly beter mileage (like two or three mpg). That would about eat up $500. I don't like headers on anything other than a race car. I've had them on trucks and street cars and they just aren't worth the hassles for the couple extra peak horsepower you get out of them. Whatever exhaust system you get, make sure it is stainless or has a lifetime, or at least acceptable warranty. There are cheaply made systems out there that will be rotted out in a couple years.

Mike H.
1983 CJ-7 Laredo
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-19-2002, 07:45 PM
Journeyman

Been There Done That,
Upgrade Exhaust I used Gibson Cat-Back,
Use Mopars HP Computer
Get a K&N Filter
Yes you will pick up very noticable HP
Yse you will absolutely have to use 93 Octane
The MPG improvement offsets the increase in gas cost so it kinda evens out to free HP

7T8CJ7
Formerly Jay2Jeeps
78 CJ7 All primer,No Chrome 4" Superlift, 33x9.50 BFG AT's
Guns don't kill people, troubled loners do
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-20-2002, 05:00 PM Thread Starter

Where can I find this Mopar HP computer? I haven't been able to find any information on it. Thanks for the help.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-21-2002, 01:09 AM
Keyboard Implanted

You can find the computer in the MoPar Performance catalog at your friendly Dodge dealer. I think Summit Racing sell the MoPar computer as well. Jet makes an inline "Chip" as well, do not confuse this with the Mopar replacement computer. The factory unit is superior in hp, mileage, and driveability (more eficient overall)

Mike H.
1983 CJ-7 Laredo, 1991 Cherokee Ltd.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-23-2002, 11:42 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Ive owned quite a few vehicles in the last ten years. Im on number five to be exact. Anyways, Ive had K&N filters in just about everyone. I even stuck one in my 97 Nissan Altima. Anyways, heres my opinion; I personally wouldnt waste your money on anything else. Your gonna spend a grand for about 50 horsepower. It just isnt worth it. Here is why I say that; 6 years ago, I owned a mint 87 Grandnational with T-tops. Over a one year period, I sank 1800 bucks in it. Sure it was fast, I could smoke the tires for a city block. Only owning it for 18 months, I was hit by a drunk driver and the car was totalled. All that money down the drain. My current vehicle is a 99 Ram Cummins Sport. 24 valve. Four doors, 8 ft bed.4X4. Ive had it for just over two years and Ive put just over 70k on it. Its got a K&N...thats it. I wouldnt modify my truck if you stuck a gun to my head.

Good luck to ya!

post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2002, 06:46 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I'm with you red. Why spend $500-1000 when the little bit of power you gain you will hardly ever notice. I have the K&N for the lifetime durability and I guess it gives more power also. I also put a Flowmaster 50 series Delta Flow muffler for some nice deep mellow exhaust tones. Thats about it.Why spend a ton on aftermarket goodies when it is still a truck (big and slow). Now a fast little street car might be worth putting some go fast parts on.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode