axles? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Dodge 4x4 vehicles All discussion of Dodge trucks, Ramchargers, Plymouth and SUV's...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-11-2002, 11:43 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

axles?

i am going to a junk yard this weekend searching for a engine/trans/ and axles. i was wondering how you can tell the dana 60's apart from the dana 44HD's because they are both 8 lug axles, arent the steering arms on 60's bolted on with 4 bolts in a sguare on the top? and this plate is on the passenger side too? thanks a lot

when you own a dodge you dont need a hobby

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2002, 12:07 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: axles?

HOWDY / thats the old style dana 60 closed knuckle that used wheel bearings instead of ball joints [ which was better ] some and I say some of the early newer style open knuckles still had this ball joint setup but not many / just about all are open knuckle with ball joints / the best way I have found to tell the difference is the palm of your hand /the cover on a 44 is the size of a volley ball an the 60 is the size of a basket ball / so if your hand fits over the cover its a 44 and if the cover is big its a 60 / if all else fails look for the numbers on the rib by the covers edge 44 or 60 / theres an old post about this way back in the board with pictures and diagrams / you would go blind looking for it / anybody got two more cents to add to this please do / good luck and MOPAR TO YA ////////// DRW

post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2002, 12:39 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Kingpin style is what you want, chevy used them up until they went IFS, I don't know when dodge stopped using them. They are by far superior to the ball joint knuckles.

If you see a 60 and a 44 together you will have no problem telling the difference.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2002, 02:37 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

how do you tell the difference between the kingpin type and the ball joint type and what year dodge would this axle be on? thanks a lot

post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2002, 02:48 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Say what??? Dodge didn't go to a ball joint Dana 60 until the new body in 94. Before that they were all king pin style, open or closed knuckle. And I don't think Chevy ever used a ball joint Dana 60 at all.

Mopar_Mudder
http://www.mopar.rockcrawler
1983 W350
Dana 60's, 38.5 Swamper SX's
ARB Lockers Front and Back
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2002, 06:31 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

ok thanks. now how do i determine weither it is open or closed knuckle and which is better, and what year trucks it would be on. thanks again

post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2002, 07:09 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

What Mopar Mudder said.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode