Can't get front spindle off - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Dodge 4x4 vehicles All discussion of Dodge trucks, Ramchargers, Plymouth and SUV's...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-07-2002, 03:20 PM Thread Starter

Can\'t get front spindle off

I have been working all week trying to get my employers truck to pass inspection, but I am having a lot of trouble changing the front axle joints. The truck is a 1986 Dodge Power Ram 1500 5.2L V8 4x4. I am not sure what axles it has (how do I find that out?). Anyway, I am working on the right side. I have removed the disc, caliper, dust shield, the 6 studs in the spindle, the top and bottom big nuts on the piece the spindle attaches to, and the tie rod. I am not sure where to go from here. I tried to remove the spindle from the piece it mounts to with the 6 studs and nuts, but it won't budge. Also, how does the piece that the spindle attaches clear the universal joint when you slide it down to pull it off. Is there an easier way to do this? Thanks in advance.

90 X-cab SR5 V6

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-07-2002, 07:43 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Can\'t get front spindle off

you have to use a chisel and hammer or air chisel to remove the spindle from the knuckle, and you have to remove the caliper bracket with the 2 bolts, slide the axle shaft out being careful not to harm the seal inside, then the knuckle, will come off, but you dont have to remove the 2 big nuts from the ball joints on the knuckle to get the axle shaft out.

when you own a dodge you dont need a hobby

post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-07-2002, 08:35 PM Thread Starter

I actually did use a very big hammer and chisel and an air hammer. I also tourched it until it started to melt. It just wouldn't move. I started to think that the spindle and knuckle are one piece and inseperable. I wish I hadn't killed my back taking off those big ball joint nuts. I'm not sure what the caliper bracket is. I took off 2 large bolts holding the caliper to the spindle it doesn't appear that there is any bracket. Or did I just take off the caliper and bracket together? I did have to remove the brake line to get to the top bolt. And just to make this point clear to me, the axle and the u-joints will slide through the knuckle once the spindle is removed? It doesn't look like it will fit.

90 X-cab SR5 V6

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-07-2002, 11:31 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

howdy /I,ve had them be real tough but not like the hassle your havin / I,ve had mine apart so many times that once I take my spindle nuts off the spindle falls off / and believe it or not the one your do,in should be almost as easy / just a couple of good taps with a hammer and it should pop free / if not SNAP ON makes a puller that screws onto the spindle and uses a slide hammer to get the really stubborn ones off / dont use the torch to much - not only will you ruin the heat temper of the spindle but there is an axle bearing in the back side that you will cook and its no fun to change / plus the two seals that seal it / good luck and MOPAR TO YA ///////////////////// DRW

post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-08-2002, 12:25 AM
Mud in my Veins

dont use heat and dont use a chisel. the chisel will gouge the mating surface and it wont sit flat, then water can get in there and rust real bad. and yes the heat will make the spindle more brittle so i wouldnt do that either. i havent come across one yet that wont slowly work off by using a 2x4 and a sledge on the spindle itself, near the threads for the locknuts. just go around in a circle giving it good whacks and it should work loose. make sure you dont hit it with the hammer directly, that will booger up the bearing surfaces.

S H O U L D A G O T T A F O R D!

www.ArkansasMud.com
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-08-2002, 07:40 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Drive out the studs using a punch. Even knocking out 2 or 3 will likely be enough to get the spindle off.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode