Dana 60 lesson/probs/solution - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Dodge 4x4 vehicles All discussion of Dodge trucks, Ramchargers, Plymouth and SUV's...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-03-2002, 09:11 PM Thread Starter

Dana 60 lesson/probs/solution

Well, I finally got the $ to install the D60HD i bought for $100.00
I got it back on Sat. 02-02-02, and it broke 20' from the Driveline Shop's front door =(
Lessons learned, if someone ya know tells ya they got a "deal for you", I will have to pass from now on.
The guy I bought it from welded the spider gears, and told me, "that it would last forever." His race car has the same done to it he tells me...... So being the naturally trusting person I am I bougt his story... Man I feel like a [email protected] only cost me $105.00 in brake parts, and $300.00 to get it fit for my truck, expensive lesson.
I am sending it to another Shop called "TruckAmotive", another wheeler referred me to them. By wednesday I will have paid over $1700.00 for this Dana 60 HD to be installed.
It is getting a set of *NEW GEARS*, **DETROIT LOCKER**, WITH a **WARRANTY**. To the tune of $1000.00 =X
Well one good thing is I got a new set of heads for my 440 =)
they will be installed this comming weekend.Only cost $300.00 Hopefully helping my weakend compression from the tired 1977 heads.

Ron K.
[email protected]
Why run with the BIG DOGS? When U can play like PIGS in the MUD!!!
http://txmudders.tripod.com new page under contruction
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-05-2002, 02:31 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Dana 60 lesson/probs/solution

That is usually what you have to do to $100 junk yard type alxes. Redo everything. It is better than paying $500 for one and still have to change the gears to what you want. I just buy the $100 when I find em and count on replacing almost everything.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-05-2002, 08:13 PM Thread Starter

Re: Dana 60 lesson

True lessons.... heh
At least it'll have what I want a Detroit Locker, AND brand new gears.
I found out it has 16 spline axles..The Owner of the shop working on it now, said that it is one of the better D60 HD's out there, due to the fact the axles are stronger and such. True<---- I have no clue, but we'll see.
KeeP the Mud fly'n.

Ron K.
[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-05-2002, 11:49 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

You got some bad info, the 16 spline axles are the least desirable. If you are putting in a detroit, get 35 spline axles

post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-06-2002, 12:37 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

This guy is jerking your chain. The standard dana 60 has 30 spline, the 60HD has 35 spline. Sounds to be like you have an old regular Dana 60. Even in the late 60's they still used 30 spline. If it is a regular 60 the 35 spline probably wont fit unless you bore the spindles out. Check the housing for the 60 or 60HD cast into it. get rid of the 16 splines, they are weaker

Mopar_Mudder
http://www.mopar.rockcrawler
1983 W350
Dana 60's, 38.5 Swamper SX's
ARB Lockers Front and Back
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-06-2002, 04:41 PM Thread Starter

Well, sad thing is that is has 60HD inside the case, and on the webbing. Shiot... Too late new lockers in, it'll be ready tommorrow night.
How hard is it to upgrade the Detroit for the larger splines? As simple as changing internal components? I know the axles can be purchased l8r, just not sure about my Locker now... damn.
I mean i just spent ALL the money I had this last time for the locker and new gears [email protected]@@@@@@@@.

Ron K.
[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode