wierd noise from under my truck - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Dodge 4x4 vehicles All discussion of Dodge trucks, Ramchargers, Plymouth and SUV's...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-28-2002, 07:53 AM
aarcuda

wierd noise from under my truck

I'm getting a wierd noise from under my truck (79 trailduster- 360, 727/203). Not always. sometimes its there, sometimes its loud and then it goes away for a little while. Its starts out as a sort of jingling noise- kind of like a bunch of wrenches on a key change- then it sometimes turns in a LOUD VVVVVVVVVRRRR noise- like a shot speedo cable (or a spring which is wound up and then sprung or a noisy bearing without grease). but Ive removed the speedo cable and it still does it. It happens more often on rough roads than on smooth roads.

The sound varies with speed. Its not predictable as to when it will happen or when it will stop. sometimes Im doing 30mph sometime 60mph sometimes 5mph).

HELP! anyone have any clues??

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-28-2002, 06:40 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: wierd noise from under my truck

HOWDY / it sounds like your 203 transfer case is on its way out / do you have the lockout kit installed or is it still full time / the 203 has a differential in it just like a rear end with spider gears / these gears start to wear and the oil pump dont work so good anymore [yes it has a oil pump] / it could be your idler gear spinning with bad bearings from your DIFF locking up from being shot / my former truck was a 79 RC that I converted to part time with the MILE MARKER kit and it was the best thing I ever did / I,m not sayin this is your problem but it sounds like it / I hope this HELPS and good luck / MOPAR TO YA //////////////////////////// DEANO

<font color=blue>DODGEBOYS</font color=blue>/
84 RC/LOCKED/35BOGGERShttp://pub10.ezboard.com/bdodgetrucks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 19-668156-Jan27_000.jpg (39.1 KB, 1 views)
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-29-2002, 10:21 AM
aarcuda

Thanks for the reply.

Is there anyway to check this while its on the truck? I was thinking I would remove the front driveshaft and drive around in hiloc to see if it still happens... Im not sure what it will prove tho...

Do I need to pull it apart and look? or should I just replace the transfercase? and if so, is it easier to drop the tranny/transfer case together or to drop the transfer case alone (is this possible?)

Are all 203 transfer cases the same (ignoring the part time kits some peple install)? Can a 203 from a chevy bolt on to a dodge easily?

How does the transfer case unbolt from the tranny?

Anyone know?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-31-2002, 12:53 PM
aarcuda

Well I feel like an idiot (but a happy idiot)

I, sensing the worst as usual, thought the sound was from the tranny or transfer case (even though all my tests pointed elsewhere).

I took the truck to a tranny place to at least diagnose the problem.

Their finding was that there is a heat shield of some sort over the differential which is rattling against the yoke. Duh!

I guess I shoulda looked a little more

post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-31-2002, 07:05 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

COOL DUDE / THATS BETTER THAN WHAT YOU WERE LOOKIN AT / 203s are strong cases but they do go out in a big way / I would still look into do,in a conversion on it / it cant hurt / good luck and MOPAR TO YA ///////////////////////// DEANO

<font color=blue>DODGEBOYS</font color=blue>/
84 RC/LOCKED/35BOGGERShttp://pub10.ezboard.com/bdodgetrucks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode