Yamaha BW80 Oil Pump? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Dirtbike Performance and Tech Wrench on it and make it faster - Or just get it to start.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-13-2009, 12:07 PM Thread Starter

Yamaha BW80 Oil Pump?

Purchased a 1986 Yamaha BW80 for my son. Owner indicated he was using premix in the tank because the person he bought it off of suggested it. Was concerned oil pump wasn't working. There is oil in the tank so I assume the pump has not been run dry and damaged. Engine blows alot of smoke so I would guess it's getting both the premix and oil from the pump. How do you check if the pump is working rigth? Or, is it better just to disengage pump and run straight premix (40:1???)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-14-2009, 10:15 AM

Before checking the output of the pump, first remove the rubber plug from the right side of the pump, just behind the exhaust. That will expose the throttle cable controlled portion of the pump. You'll want to adjust the cable so that the cable will move almost immediately upon twisting the throttle.

Once that is done, remove the seat & gas tank. Then remove the small hose running from the pump to the carburetor. Drain the carb, then mix up some premix in a remote container & hook up to carb. Fire up the bike & watch the end of the hose that you disconnected -- oil should come out every couple seconds at idle, & faster with RPM.

If you don't see any oil coming out, remove the black plastic cover for the pump. you will see a small screw that has both a phillips head & a hex head for a 8mm socket. It can also be identified by a sealing washer. Remove this bolt completely & oil should start to come out the hole. When the oil flows smooth & without bubbles, re-install the screw, & cover, then fire the bike back up on the premix & watch the hose again. If there was any air in the line, the oil should flow within 30 seconds at idle.

Drain carb again, hook hose back on to the right side of carburetor, re-install seat & tank & hook tank line back up, & turn gas on. You should be good to go!

If you have any more questions about this bike, feel free to ask away. I currently own 9 of these! This was my first bike back in December of 1985.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode