Xr80 that wont start - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Dirtbike Performance and Tech Wrench on it and make it faster - Or just get it to start.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-15-2009, 10:46 AM Thread Starter

Xr80 that wont start

Hi, I have a 1982 xr80. When I got it, it hadn't run in at least 4 years. I soaked it with Marvel Mystery oil. It needed a cylinder head because the spark plug hole was toast. I got a used head and put it on with the same cam and cradle. I checked the deck, made sure it was level. I reassembled the bike and got it running. For a small bike It had some nut. I road it for about 3 hours till dark. I started and stopped it quite a few times. I parked the bike under a tarp for 2 days while it rained. Now I can't get the bike to restart. I have good spark. I tried to pop start it going down hill and it sounded like a small block Chevy trying to start while being out of gas. So it had compresion. But felt like it was out of gas.I took the carb off and cleaned it out again. I did find some sediment in it.I drained the tank ond cleaned it out. I put it back together again with a fuel filter in line this time. I got fresh gas and I still can't get it to start. Should I just replace the carb or am I missing something. This seems like a very simple design. I do have the Haynes Manuel and I feel I've gone threw it pretty good. This is my first bike but I've been working with cars for 15 years. Please help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-21-2009, 03:54 PM

have u tried cleaning the carb yet
nd make sure your reeds are good nd set
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-23-2009, 11:08 AM Thread Starter

I found the problem. The spring clip for the throttle valve allowed the e clip that holds the throttle valve in place to pop up and allowed the carb to flood out. It also fouled the spark plug.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode