anyone ever..........? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Dirtbike Lounge Hang out and talk two wheels. For Tech and Racing specifically, see those forums below.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2001, 08:14 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

anyone ever..........?

ne one here ever ride a cr or kx500? i tryed kicking one(CR) a few days ago(i had a wet sneaker on so as soon as it hit its compression my foot slipped off) and how would you start one of thoes beasts if you fell and hurt your leg? im probly gonna ride one soon.

WELCOME TO NEW JERSEY PLEASE THROW AWAY YOUR CONSTUIONS.

P.S. NJ BLOWS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2001, 08:39 PM

Re: anyone ever..........?

Nope, never have, but I read a magazine article a while ago that said one thing everyone should do at least one time in their life is ride a 500cc two stroke motorcycle. It's on my list of stuff to do. If you do it, I'd like to hear about it. Good luck

When I was a child I caught a fleeting glimpse out of the corner of my eye.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2001, 09:01 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I would imagine you could get up, find the nearest hill, and pop start if your leg hurt that bad, if not, stop bein a pussy and kick it like a man.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2001, 02:26 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: anyone ever....looked at a goat......?

Hey..thats what I ride [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] you get used to it and don't even realize that its hard to kick start....

On the CR the kick starter smacks the foot peg and over time it WILL break in half and THAT is a pain in the Josh..

All's I'm sayin is "YEA"
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2001, 10:00 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: anyone ever....looked at a goat......?

TO BUMP START A 500 YOU NEED A big HILL AND HAVE TO PUT IT IN 4TH, IF YOUR LUCKY, I MEAN real LUCKY, IT WILL START BY BUMPING IT. THEY ARE VERY VERY POWERFUL.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2001, 02:05 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Heys Guys,
I bought an 1984 CR 500 about 3 months ago. That's the last year they were air-cooled. I'm told, though I don't know if this person is correct, that the 1984's had so much power that they backed off after that. Yeah, I know it's a dinosaur, but it sure is a hoot to ride! I actually bought steel shank boots just to start the thing because the arch of my foot was getting so bruised. I must say, now that I have gotten the hang of it, I can start it on the first kick just about every time, but that's only after it has been warmed up. I'm not a motocross guy, but I do ride a lot of woods stuff up here in Michigan. This bike is perfect for this kinda riding. It has bottom end torque like a 4-stroke, but will put you on your butt coming out of corners in third gear!
Let me say this though, if you weigh less than 150 pounds and have pencil thin legs, don't even bother trying to kick one over. Also, forget trying to push start one unless you are on blacktop in 5th gear...there's just too much compression on top of that big piston.
Thanks of letting me chime in!
Dinosaur Dan

post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2001, 02:14 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

thats what my buddy had an 84' cept the top end was totally beat and it still had barrels of compression and we couldn't push start it. jp1180

post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2001, 04:04 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yeah, the compression thing is true, i didn't even think about that, ya know, i was used to puttin my little ole 200 in third and doin it...

post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2001, 05:31 PM
Keyboard Implanted

84 WAS the last year for air cooled BUT 85 had the most compression and had the biggest "powerband" hit of all stock 500's..... they got smoother every year after that untill 92 .... there hasn't been too many mod's sence then.

My 95 is almost electric compared to the 87CR500 I had before [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

All's I'm sayin is "YEA"
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2001, 08:54 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Kyron man...they closed your post...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode