the best bike for me??? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Dirtbike Lounge Hang out and talk two wheels. For Tech and Racing specifically, see those forums below.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-30-2001, 09:12 PM Thread Starter

the best bike for me???

hey guys here's the deal i've been outta the bike circle for a while now about 8 years but i used to ride alot, and grew up on a bike, but now i want to get back in it, and i want to know what the best bike for me would be. i prefer 2 stroke, though i would be in the woods mostly which leans me towrds the rmx or kdx, and really dont want an xr, i've hade them and ridden them all a friend has a 2000 xr 400, and i dont like heavy fours, just personal opinion, but what are the primary diffrences btw the rmx or kdx's and their similar sized mx'rs? it seems resale is considerably lower on these bikes which i like also i plan on getting a bike atleast 4 years old(money is a huge object here.) well thats it so fire away and thanks ahead of time, soggysod
ph and if anyone knows of good deals near chattanooga tenn. tell me about em

if it aint broke, break it so you can learn to fix it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-30-2001, 11:17 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: the best bike for me???

im looking for a new bike also. if hyou are going to be in the woods why dont you look for an XR? ive had them and if you get one fairly new like 92 or younger if you ride it in the woods it will last forever. i wouldnt trust an rmx(ive herd alot of horror stories) and kdx's are limited and need to be modifyed to make power id go w/ an xr400. bulletproof and most of the power up mods are cheap if not free.

WELCOME TO NEW JERSEY PLEASE THROW AWAY YOUR CONSTUIONS.

P.S. NJ BLOWS
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2001, 12:28 AM
adam728

Just wanted to throw in my feeling on the KDX.

I owned a 96 KDX 200 for 2 years and loved it. Granted it is not the fastest or best suspended bike, but it works well almost anywhere. The do need some work to get opened up though. I rode mine about 6 months stock and was very happy. Then I got a Procircuit pipe and silencer combo, WOW! It REALLY opened up the power. I have never seen another bike gain that much from a simple pipe and silencer. And what was even better was ditchig the dual wall pipe and huge silencer and saving 10 pounds.

After that I got stiffer fork springs, reeds, a heavy duty clutch, and then ran outta money. People say you need a lot more than this to make the bike great, but it kicked butt for me. I NEVER got beaten on the trail with friends, and I held my own fairly well in the dozen or so motocross races I ran on it. I think the happiest day of my life was getting 4th into the first corner in the 250 class (full gate) while lined up with a YZ400F on my left and a CR500 on my right (they run the same class at Baja Acres, Michigan). I guess there is a lot to be said for reaction times and throttle control.

Anyway, the bike was reliable as a hammer. The only thing I had trouble with was bending the bars (got Renthals then) burning the clutch (riding sandy/loamy motocross tracks does that) and the stock chain/sprocket wore out FAST. Other than that it was a GREAT bike. Always started right away, never died on my. I REALLY wish I never got rid of it .

85 SR5, hey that rhymes!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2001, 02:03 PM
portgrinder

if you're going four stroke, do yourself a favour and get a 400f. i love mine

You wear your silver chain but the cross won't stop the lies,you believe in nothing
Kenton Thomas,Portal
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2001, 05:01 PM
Keyboard Implanted

the KDX 200's are great bikes, when set up with aftermarket pipe and some other things. I weight 220 and it still had enough power to pull me up trails in tight woods.

If your thinking about a RMX, yu might as well get any 250MX bike and modify it for woods riding.... the YZ's and CR's can be made into super woods bikes with not too many mods....

Another bike to concider might be a XR250... easily made street legal and will go just as fast as anything else through the woods....

"His voice was horse, his throat was dry.. he asked me for a sip...."
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2001, 08:11 PM Thread Starter

i really dont want an xr ive had a couple of 200's one of the 4 valve rvfc or whatever, and a 2 valve 88 i think. i just am not impressed with how honda has improved this bike i understand you got something good you stck with it philosophy, but gees they've got 20 years on the bike without much more than cosmetic, think if the xr had evolved like the cr has, these yz fours would have a run in the 4 banger category, anyway how would you consider a klx, i hear it turns awesome and handles well how would it hang with a kdx 200, also how much diffrence in speed is there btw a 220 and a 200?

if it aint broke, break it so you can learn to fix it
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2001, 09:30 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

the kdx 200 is more top end than the 220.

P.S. NJ BLOWS
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-03-2001, 05:06 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

You ever rode a kdx xrman? That will smoke an xr in the woods...modded to get power, psh...:P

post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-03-2001, 06:45 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

no
no buyes them around here the only trail bikes around here..............wait noone has them around here. ill i ride is mx bikes. ill never buy a 4 stroke again. i wont even trust them anymore.

P.S. NJ BLOWS
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2001, 06:11 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

What does KDX have to do with four strokes?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode