Any AdVIcE - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Dirtbike Lounge Hang out and talk two wheels. For Tech and Racing specifically, see those forums below.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-18-2001, 10:17 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Any AdVIcE

Before you say, put this in the atv board, let me say that i'm posting this here because I respect a lot of your guys opinions and don't know if you read the atv board. I just figured some of you have/or had atvs and a motor is a motor. If you want me to remove the post I will,thank you if you don't. I just picked up a 97'Banshee for less than a grand. From the diagnosis I believe the CDI box to be inoperatable, easily replace for @200 so I hear. That said, I should have it back on the trail.
Now, like every other guy who reads this board, it's fun time. The bike already has a boost bottle, and I'm going for the most low-mid range I can get, everyone knows the bikes top end capabilities. This is where you guys and your great knowledge/experience comes in. I'm trying to keep this low budget, just for bragging rights. I know TOOMEY makes a kit that includes a air filter,jets, and air box vents for @450. I also know that FMF makes a really good product more specified for my application, but it's a little more pricey. Next, I plan on replacing the reeds, ideas welcome, I know Boyseen, Carbon-Tech makes quality products. I may even look towards some carb spacers for more torque if I can find positive feedback on them. I know it works in the automotive industry. I also know that I can mix and match with fmf pipes and toomey silencers. SO WHAT AM I ASKING?
Just asking for ideas on what I should do, all information is greatly appreciated. Thanks Marc

88 Samurai, 16 V EFI motor, Dana 44's, 36" Swampers, ARB and Detroit
lockers, custom drop arms, GRS II, 5.38 r&p, Warn 8000, custom bumpers,
leather seats & lots more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-19-2001, 06:27 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Any AdVIcE

did you get it running yet? or are you going y what the person you bought it off said? if so get the cdi and get it running first because you never know how screed up it really is.

BLOW THEM ALL UP AND LET ALLAH FIGURE IT OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HOW SCREWED UP IS THIS WORLD?????
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-19-2001, 10:47 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Just get it running, then take it from there...

I think BajaDesigns and other places can rebuild CDI's, might be cheaper???

***All previous rules do not apply***
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-19-2001, 11:30 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

definately good ideas guys, i've ridden the bike in the past and it's a nice machine. i'm just power power power, like any guy, i have noticed the front a arm bushings are beat, and found some brass ones for 80 bucks, but don't know if i like the idea of brass in there

post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-21-2001, 01:35 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

ok, got the bike running, had to pull start it, but after that it was fine. Kicked right up, reved fine and all seemed ok until i took off and it just started to idle, and so that's all it does now is idle, i plan on checking the throttle cable and the carbs. I'll keep you guys posted. Marc

post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-21-2001, 01:50 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

What are the chances that the reeds are broken, makes sense to me, just haven't had time to pop off the carbs and investigate. What are the symtoms of broken reeds. Marc

post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-21-2001, 06:22 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Kinda like an air leak.... It will get sucking pulses from the cyclinder and not run right

***All previous rules do not apply***
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-21-2001, 07:07 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Well Kyron, that's exactly what it's doing, so i guess it's time for some boyseen and some carb spacers. I'll take it apart in a few hours and tell you that your predictions are correct, hopefully. Marc

post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-21-2001, 09:04 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Took the carbs off and inspected the reeds, they aren't broke, cracked, or chiped. Does this tell me that they aren't bad, or can they still look good and be worn out? The bike is doing exactly as you described, you hear a loud vacuum leak and it doesn't accelerate at all. Please help, i'm out of ideas almost. Marc

post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-21-2001, 09:46 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

are the air boots on tight?

BLOW THEM ALL UP AND LET ALLAH FIGURE IT OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HOW SCREWED UP IS THIS WORLD?????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode