Opinions wanted - 1984 CR 500 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Dirtbike Lounge Hang out and talk two wheels. For Tech and Racing specifically, see those forums below.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-17-2001, 10:12 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Opinions wanted - 1984 CR 500

OK, I'm new to this board so go easy on me. I just happened to stumble across it while searching for info on my recent purchase - 1984 CR 500 which is in excellent condition. However, yesterday I read the write up by the guy "who designed the Honda website" about the 1983 CR 480. He wrote a raving review about this bike and said to avoid the '84 500 because the 480 is "better in every way." This is a bit disconcerting to me and I would appreciate any more info on my bike that might be beneficial to me.
The motor was completely rebuilt seven months ago which included new piston, rings, replacing fifth gear, clutch as well as all new seals, including the crank seals. Also, he put a DG pipe and silencer on it. The previous owner road the bike every summer here in Michigan, each weekend up north, for seven seasons with just regular oil changes and maintenance. The bike looks great for something so old. I didn't have a lot of money to spend on a new machine, but I wanted something that I thought would be a fun, reliable, weekend woods/trail warrior to ride up north in the summers. Did I get the wrong bike for this? The author of the article on the CR 480 said that the '84 CR 500 had a tendency to "blow themselves to smitherines." Should I sell and look for a CR 480? To be honest, I like the bike so far. I'm no pro, so it has plenty of power to keep me interested, but is it just a matter of time until this thing blows up on me? It is a beast to start, but once running it cleans out pretty quickly and runs hard for me. Let me know what you think. I'll appreciate it.
Dan McGhee

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-17-2001, 11:44 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Opinions wanted - 1984 CR 500

TO HAVE THE BALLS TO ATTEMPT TO START, LET ALONE RIDE THIS MACHINE IS MORE THAN ENOUGH TO SAY GO HAVE FUN! MY BUD had one of these and how people ride these things is beyond me. i hope you have armor and no one rides behind you. bring a couple pair of earplugs too!

post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-17-2001, 03:23 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

if your going to be riding / anyone you know uy them some medevil armor and get them big bubbles to put over them and thier bikes bec you will be roosting everything. just playing but they roost everything and are very loud.have fun!!!!!!!!!!

BLOW THEM ALL UP AND LET ALLAH FIGURE IT OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HOW SCREWED UP IS THIS WORLD?????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-17-2001, 04:22 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the advice. Yes, it does shoot quite a roost which I absolutely love! I'm leaving tomorrow afternoon to head up north for two days of solid riding. Seven friends of mine are going along. One will be riding and XR 600 with brand new nobby on back, one Banshee, one Rapter, two brand new DRZ 400's and one brand new KDX 200. We are going to have a blast! I look forward to throwing dirt all over them (and maybe a little snow too, since they just got a little up there).
Dan McGhee

post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-17-2001, 09:04 PM
Keyboard Implanted

There, OK bike's... there better than the 85 witch was water cooled BUT the newer style 91+ is lightyears better in everyway.

How much did you pay for it???

***All previous rules do not apply***
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-18-2001, 09:26 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I paid $850.00 for it.
Dan

post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-18-2001, 01:51 PM
Keyboard Implanted

thats a good price for it! I was going to laugh if you said anything over $1200

Power is fun uh?

***All previous rules do not apply***
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode