Info on racing - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Dirtbike Lounge Hang out and talk two wheels. For Tech and Racing specifically, see those forums below.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2001, 01:07 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Info on racing

I'm planning on getting a KDX200 sometime soon ( I don't know exactly when) and after I get fairly good on it (it'll be my first 2 stroke) I'd kinda like to race some. I'm thinkin enduros, but I don't really know a lot about them. What other kinds of woods/trail races are there and what are they like? Any help would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2001, 01:19 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Info on racing

FIRST OFF YOU BETTA START PRACTICING HARDCORE. make a trail in your woods with cliffs thru creeks, tree's in trail and on hill clibs, rocks and tight turns, ruts and all those goodies. now go thru that think as hard as you can till you fall off that bitcch. now get bak on and do it all over again. now once you realize you have only ridden ten feet its time to start thinking. your endurance is a big issue, if you've never raced. YOU WILL TIRE VERY QUICKLY. start joggin, doing pushups. eat good, get some sleep. and practice with your bike. turns, ruts all that stuff. get real good or you will get whooped. stuff that you don't like to do start doing it cause you will have to in a race. there are also hare scrambles, don't know exac whats up eith either of them but you need to practice.

this is a uni-cycle with a training wheel, I wasn't riding a wheelie officer!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2001, 01:51 PM

If you check out http://www.nmaoffroad.org/eventdetails.htm it gives a brief definition of the different types of events. I've raced Enduro's and Hare Scrambles in Ga and SC. I'm by no means an expert on the subject, but here's what I know. Enduro's are timed events where you try to make it to different check points on time, too late and you get points (that's bad), too early and you get even more points, (that's worse). A low score is the desired goal. In an Enduro, all the riders don't start at the same time. You start in rows. For example, "key time", thats the time the first row starts, might be 0900, a row starts every minute after that and consists of about 5 riders (I think AMA rules state a number), but it's about 5-7 riders per row. When you sign up you get a number, your number could be 15, that would mean you start at 0915 (15 minutes past key time) and 15 rows started before you did. It's not about coming in first, it's about being on time. These races can be anywhere between 25 miles long to even longer. There are books out that do a much better job of describing an Enduro than I did here. My time keeping skills aren't all that great either. I just ride as fast as I can, I'm a C rider so don't have to worry about being early Hare Scrambles are more like a motocross event through the woods. All the riders start together, or in classes, and you get two to three hours to do as many laps as you can. The loop might be 3 to 5 miles long. The last one I rode before I came over here was really muddy and tight, filled with roots and mud holes. I got about 2 laps in 2 hrs and I was beat. At one point I had to get off my bike, rock it back and forth in this mud hole, both wheels were almost buried, and drag it out on it's side. Both me and the bike were covered in mud/clay. I ride a KLX and starting that thing after it's been stalled can be an exercise in both fitness and patience. Both events are a blast, and require you to be in fairly good shape. Hope this helps. By the way, I think the KDX 200 is a pretty good choice for a woods bike. They've been around for a long time, might not be state of the art, but still a good bike.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2001, 08:34 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Ok, I've scratched the enduro idea. Hare scrambles seem like something I'd be interested in though. I'm a long way from racing ( I don't even have the KDX yet) and I'd probably just run 2 or 3 races a year, nothing serious. Thanks for your help.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2001, 09:20 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Coolbrad, where you live? Enduro's and Hare Scrambles are great...harescrambles especially, all out racing through the woods. Enduro's are timed events, you get points off for goin to fast at a certain time, and for accidents and stuff like that, it's a points race. We are having a harescramble September 30th, it's gonna be sweet, hope my mom and dad let me bring the digi cam, and my friend is lettin me take his camera, so i should have some good pics if i get the digi cam. Also, if you want to race in "real" enduro's, you should be a member of the AMA, have your bike registered and insured, and be like...ya know a headlight, and tail light, enduro package mainly. Harescrambles need AMA registration is about it, and like 20 bucks to race.

<font color=blue> I'd rather be STROKED than BORED...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode