Clutch Question - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Dirtbike Lounge Hang out and talk two wheels. For Tech and Racing specifically, see those forums below.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2001, 09:20 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Clutch Question

I had the bike on a stand so the rear tire was off the ground. Started the engine then while I was holding in the clutch I shifted up to 2nd gear, the rear tire still spun for about 30 seconds while the clutch was still pulled in all the way. When the tire is at a dead stop I am able to let the clutch lever out about 3/4 of an inch before it ketches. Is this normal?

PS: it is a xr200r

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2001, 09:32 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Clutch Question

Thats all ok and nothing to worry about. As long as the clutch dosn't slip when you ride it. Also don't slip the clutch alot like your riding a 2-stroke, it'll ruin the motor oil and wear the clutch.....

You need a thneed
From Once-ler Industrys
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2001, 09:57 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks Kyron. Actually the clutch slips a little in 5th and 6th gear when going from 1/2 throttle to full throttle real quick. The engine reves real high for a second or 2. I had friction plates and clutch springs put in earlier this summer. The clutch plates were fine so those werent messed with. Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2001, 03:42 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Are you sure the cable is adjusted right? If it's slipping thats bad and it will get worse.....

as it slips it makes more heat and that ruins the motor oil and that makes the clutch slip even more.

Check the cable adjustment per the manual

You need a thneed
From Once-ler Industrys
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2001, 08:05 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yes, don't ride it with a slipping clutch, I bought a nice looking XR200 once and the engine was shot, all due to the fact that the kid continued to ride it with a badly slipping clutch, the oil was burnt smelling, clutch particles ran throughout the engine, engine ran hot. Fix it like Kyron says. Ed.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2001, 04:44 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

or just rev it to 10 grand and pop it in first

post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2001, 06:25 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

What all do you think needs replaced then? Just the clutch plates? since the friction plates and springs were brand new at the begining of summer.

I know it is adjusted properly...

post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2001, 07:48 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

You should have 2 spacers for the free play of the shaft/basket/hub(pressure plate). One is between the mainshaft and basket, the other fits between the basket and center hub. I don't know about your setup, but sometimes the spacers (which act as end-play shims) look the same, but one will be thicker than the other and they're not interchangeable. Check your manual for this. If the basket fingers are grooved where the friction discs contact them, or same thing with the center hub stuff, it will cause problems. If the steel plates are ok thickness-wise but are warped, that'll do it too. Make sure the contact surfaces on basket and hub are ok. It might feel like all the adjustments are fine. Because end play has to be taken up before any release occurs, you have a narrow range of clutch action and the usual symptoms are drag with the lever in(creeps in gear, hard shifts, etc.) or if adjusted till that disappears, you get weak engagement with the lever maybe 3/4 let out. It's damn hard to get it to work. One tip is if (or when) you take the case cover off, check for end play first by trying to pull the whole clutch in and out by hand (make sure the hub nut is tight) and then watch the clutch action when pulling and releasing the lever. If you get more end play than specs., which is just a few thou of an inch, suspect the spacers. Get a helper to hold the center hub while you pull the lever and watch for excess travel while you attempt to move the outer basket with the center held still. I use a zip tie to hold the lever in. We're dealing with very small increments here, but you'll get the idea as you look it over. Do you have a manual? What kind/ weight of oil are you using? You will probably have to work the clutch loose before doing these checks. I would ride it and warm it up, dump the oil into a clean container so you can check it for clutch gunk, filings, etc. and then remove the case cover. Hope this helps, Bob

post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2001, 09:53 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks Bob. I will take the case apart this weekend and see whats going on in there. I have noticed metal splinters in the oil. I take the side case off about once a month to clean the syntrifical(sp?) oil filter and it pretty gunked up. I have a manual so I think i will be able to figure it out. Thanks again for your time and everybody elses time.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode