Finally, a 2 stroke with problems!!! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Dirtbike Lounge Hang out and talk two wheels. For Tech and Racing specifically, see those forums below.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2001, 12:16 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Finally, a 2 stroke with problems!!!

XR bashers, listen up. I just bought a 2000 CR125 TWO-STROKE for my son, looks like new, has orig tires, never been raced. Seemed like a pretty good deal but I thought the engine sounded a little funny. I offered the guy $500 less and got it. My son's been having fun with it but I was worried about the noise so I tore it down today. Well, the crank bearings are shot, cylinder has a scratch and a gouge in it, needs piston and ring. Honda parts from the local dealer add up to $659.32. I found Servicehonda's web site, can order the same parts there for $458.83. The clutch and rest of internals still look like new. I wonder how the prev owner wrecked the main bearings? They feel rough, like they're full of sand. So, we have a good running XR250, a couple of good running XR80's, but the CR TWO-STROKE is shot. BTW, anyone ever heard of Eric Gorr Forward Motion? I have to decide whether to buy a new cylinder or send this one off to him for big bore 133 or 144cc, plating, and porting. Can get it done for $350, seems pretty reasonable. Anyway, I know 2 strokes rule, and we'll end up with a like new CR at a good deal. See ya.
Ed in Iowa
Moto Guzzi 850
BMW R100S
M38A1

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2001, 04:18 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Finally, a 2 stroke with problems!!!

Thats why I like to talk trash about 125's [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
but for real, the original owner probley rev'd the life out of it!

But any motor that makes that much horsepower per CC isn't going to last forever!!
Thats why 250's will last alittle bit longer and 500's last even longer.......

Eric Gorr knows his stuff and the big bore kit will give the bike more low end..... so thats good stuff!

You need a thneed
From Once-ler Industrys
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2001, 07:23 AM
Frog

hey ed,things arent so bad.i had a 2000 cr and loved it,fork was a bit stiff though.if it were 10 years ago you would probably toss the cylinder and start from scratch,but nowdays we got options.1,buy new cylinder,pros-just swap powervalves and go,cons-big $$$$(maybe not for you in the states but for us downunder $500 plus).option 2,resleeve old cylinder,pros-wont cost as much as a new cylinder plus you should get a piston supplied and you can rebore the cylinder at a later date if need be,cons-loss of performance thruogh friction,cylinder wears quicker because of no plating,may need to modify powervalves when rebored(major pain in ass).or 3,send the cylinder to be repaired and replated.pros-can plate to suit piston supplied which will save you money in the long run(if you get it plated to suit the smaller honda piston,B i think,you can fit the A size piston as cyl wears),cons -none to think of apart from downtime,may take a couple of weeks to get done.
your cylinder ports are grossly mismatched(from the cases to the cyl)sit your base gasket on the cases with dowel pins in and it matches pretty good but put it on the cylinder and youll see how much the cylinder hangs over the port.if you are gonna replate the cyl,clean the ports up first.i was a bit disappointed with my cr until i did this work to it(and fitted fmf shorty,53 t rear and adjusted jetting to suit),but after the work it was like a different bike.
hope i havent bored you too much.
p.s.put a rod kit in or buy a new crank cause all the top end work will be worth squat when the big end lets go.
p.s.s.have heard of eric gorr,do yourself a favour,check out his website,buy his books,they have a permanent place in my crapper.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2001, 08:22 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I believe there may be a carb jetting kit for the big bore mod.
Also the tranny will take even more abuse with the cheater kit installedI would use the money and suspension upgrades. I think that will make the bike more user friendly than the big bore kit.
Until your boy can use every ounce of power the 125 has to offer why give him more.
Just my 2cents worth.
Good Luck!!

post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2001, 06:05 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hey, Wise, good to see you're still around. I haven't posted much these days; guess I need to find a vintage site!
Ed, I recall you were looking awhile back, weren't you? Anyway, I would take Wiseguy's advice. At a guess, I would say your lower end went because of whatever it was that scored the cylinder(limited info on piston color, etc.)
Other causes could be lack of oil, lean fuel mix, dirt,etc. getting in the motor and overheating, among others. We constantly see 125's needing frequent motor work because of their character; lot's of power, high up. In "technical racing" they'll run the fuel/oil ratio at 50 or 60:1.(don't do it!) What's the bike's origin? Whatever else you do, make sure there are NO cooling system problems besides all the other stuff. Ed, I gotta tell ya, I've never seen or heard of any 2-stroke exempt from problems,lol. But for a real eye-opener, thoroughly read the factory maintenance schedule for your bike, preferably while sitting. It will probably be for race conditions, but if you're out there at redline speed, you're racing. Good luck on your project, Bob

post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2001, 08:42 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the input guys. Here's the story on the CR125. I bought it from a guy who bought it from a drunk in a bar one night. The drunk was mad at his kid so he sold the bike. The guy I bought it from put a new wiseco piston in it, he couldn't tell me why. He says the bike has never been raced and I believe him. It still has all the original stuff and looks like new except for a scuff or 2 in the plastic. The owner agreed engine was a little noisy so he knocked $500 off. The bike was jetted a little too rich when I bought it so I dropped the needle a notch. It ran perfect then. So I don't really have a clue as to why the bearings are rough.
I know 2-strokes have problems, the post title is in reference to the guys who have been bashing 4-strokes lately, just having a little fun w/them.
As to the big bore, on Gorrs site he says he can make the bike have more low end for woods and stuff. That's why I would be interested in big bore for my son, I'm not really looking for a faster bike, just better in the woods. I know someone will say get a KDX or a 250, but my son likes the CR125s, and he likes freestyle. He's doing a no-hander-lander off our jump already.
I think I'll take the parts to Storm Lake Honda and see what the mechanic (a good guy) says. I'll keep you posted. Ed.
P.S. Bob (zappy) my first real bike was a 67 Honda CL90.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2001, 01:47 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

A '67 CL90? Red or blue? I'll be a son of a, Ed! A buddy of mine had a '68 CL125 twin. I used to get to ride it, and what a thrill for a 14 yr. old! But you know those CB160's were the real ticket, and man, those 305's.............

post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2001, 03:46 AM
Keyboard Implanted

But my first "real" bike was a 74(?)CT70 and I also had a 69 SL90 that was in mint condition when I got it.....

You need a thneed
From Once-ler Industrys
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2001, 08:03 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

My CL90 was red w/silver tank. It had a straight pipe, sounded cool. I had also removed EVERYTHING that wasn't necessary to ride it- no fenders, no lights, etc. Yeah, my older brothers had CB160 and CL72 250 scrambler. Then we moved into 2-strokes in the 70's, Montesa, Bultacos, and Huskys. I'm showing my age, aren't I? See ya, Ed.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2001, 10:23 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

yeah yeah i remem them days my 81 xr 80 , 86 yz80, 86 kdx 80, oh that what ten years after what your talking bout-hahahaahahahaahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaa

this is a uni-cycle with a training wheel, I wasn't riding a wheelie officer!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode