P.O.S. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Dirtbike Lounge Hang out and talk two wheels. For Tech and Racing specifically, see those forums below.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2001, 12:57 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

P.O.S.

my damn clutch is slipping again but it isnt complete disengagement its like im pulling it in a little. ive replaced all the plates like 2 months ago so i dont think thats it. maybe the springs? where can i get heavy duty ones just the springs not the plates just springs? also when i did replace the plates the guy who helped me said that the grooves in basket were just normal wear and tear and they wernt that bad so i figure its eather the basket or the springs. o yea also the grooves in the basket did not restrict the plates from mooving like the plates didnt get hung up on the grooves so i dont think thats it. also im guessing its the springs bec when i got the bike the clutch wasnt adjusted rite and that could reck the springs. also i tryed to get the clutch to enguage early like taking it off the wire and letting the springs push it all the way back then connecting to wire where the clutch stopps but it only went like 1/2 as far as i thought it would and now the clutch enguages pretty late. could worn out springs do this? also it is not as like springy to return when you pull it in as my friends bikes so im wondering if its the springs.
thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2001, 01:11 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: P.O.S.

If there's burrs on the fingers of the clutch basket then I'd very lightly remove them and only as a temporary fix. Replace the basket. As for your springs you can add a thin washer (all of the same thickness) to each of the springs to preload them.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2001, 01:16 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

what do worn springs do?
a new basket their like $200 i cant afford one.where can i get a deal on one?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2001, 01:24 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Try the washers on the springs.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2001, 01:33 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

i dont want to rig it im gonna order new springs. also a new basket is $100-$200 alone then instalation is like $300 at my dealer just to look at my bike and remove the rite side casing is $160

post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2001, 02:47 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

XR80man, have you even tried adjusting the clutch where it goes into the engine?? Mine slipped like hell and all i did was adjust it a bit, and it works fine.

<font color=blue> I'd rather be STROKED than BORED...
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2001, 02:51 PM
portgrinder

ya check the cable adjustment 'fore you go crazy here

You wear your silver chain but the cross won't stop the lies,you believe in nothing
Kenton Thomas,Portal
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2001, 06:21 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Don't forget about the tire pressure.......

put the washers to preload the springs! that will tell ya if the springs are bad.

You need a thneed
From Once-ler Industrys
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2001, 07:30 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

If you GTM then it'll tell you the service length of the springs.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2001, 08:51 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

its as far out as it will go at the adjustment at the engine. it has a nickle space of play at the lever so i know its adjusted rite.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode