Jetting Question - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Dirtbike Lounge Hang out and talk two wheels. For Tech and Racing specifically, see those forums below.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-18-2001, 04:42 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Jetting Question

I have a 83' XR200R. The stock main jet is a 138. I have removed the snorkel, baffle, and cylinder was bored out .20 over. I changed the main jet to a 145, but I can put the choke on half and still hold it wide open for about 10 seconds until it starts slightly missing(thats why I think it very lean, also engine runs very hot). I compared the 138 to the 145 and the owner before my must have drilled it out because the whole is bigger then the 145. If I go up to a 158 would I be getting closer to where it is jetted just about right? Also why would I have to go up this far on the main jet?

PS: The pilot is stock and the needle set to stock position.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-18-2001, 05:03 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Jetting Question

that color is your plug when you pul it out?if its white its too lean.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-18-2001, 05:20 PM
portgrinder

look at your plug. white-lean, black/goop-rich, hazel-bingo

go to the dealer and see what its sposed to be jetted at stock. buy that jet and one 5 fatter plus 10 fatter.
then try er out with each jet and see where it runs better. you won't burn the thing down if you only try the jets for 10 min or so and are riding like a sane person. jets are cheap - experiment

You wear your silver chain but the cross won't stop the lies,you believe in nothing
Kenton Thomas,Portal
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-18-2001, 06:02 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

138 is stock. Says right out of my manual. 138 is way to lean. I did a plug test for it and the plug looked brand new when I pulled it out. Pilot is fine. I will have to get some new spark plugs. I ran the bike half choke most of today.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-18-2001, 09:02 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

why would you have it running 1/2 choke all day?

post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-18-2001, 09:36 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

because I know the engine was running very lean. So I put it half choke to richen it up since I was running it half to full throttle most of the time. The engine did not run as hot today either.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode