More ???'s - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Dirtbike Lounge Hang out and talk two wheels. For Tech and Racing specifically, see those forums below.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-28-2001, 10:20 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

More ???\'s

Still looking to ditch the CR500 for a more friendly woods bike. Has anyone out there ridden the KTM640 dual sport bike, she looks like a beast. I know, I know, If I think the CR500 is hard in the woods, what about this $ucker. I'm just getting ideas. I've still got my mind set on a WR400, what's the big difference b/w the WR426 and the WR400 besides the displacement? Is it about the same difference b/w a YZ400 and a YZ426? Thanks for all the help fellas. Marc

88 Samurai, 16 V EFI motor, Dana 44's, 36" Swampers, ARB and Detroit
lockers, custom drop arms, GRS II, 5.38 r&p, Warn 8000, custom bumpers,
leather seats & lots more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-29-2001, 02:37 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: More ???\'s

If your going to get a KTM640 make sure it has the electric start button! Cause thats a BIG heavy bike and after lifting it up it's nice just to push a button!! DON'T get a left side kick start model... I couldnt start it[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
My friends with the YZ400/426 both hate there bikes in super tight woods (one put a flywheel and now he's happier) while another friend who had a WR400 liked it but now rides a CR250(he likes spending money and is never happy)....

Just put a flywheel weight on your CR and try it..... worst case is when you sell the bike you get mabey 50 more dollars for the bike!... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] but ridding a CR500 in tight woods with out ever putting a flywheel weight on it is kinda scoring with a Playmate but keeping the lights off.. you know what you "got" but you just cant appreciate her [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

You need a thneed
From Once-ler Industrys
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-29-2001, 10:12 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I know what your saying Kyron. Just trying to educate myself to what I might possibly want to look towards. I think it would be fun to have a dual sport bike. So that's why the WR came into the picture. I'm sure the KTM640 will haul %ss on or off-road, I've seen them in Baja races, they absolutely fly. I could probably outrun most cars on the street with that sucker. I've heard lots of good things about KTM, that's while i'm looking at the KTM400EXE (i think that's what it's called, a four stoke electric start) But I don't know if it's a DOHC or how fast it is(capable of being a worthy dual-sport bike). Marc

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-29-2001, 08:33 PM
Keyboard Implanted

The KTM EXC400's are GREAT bikes and have the electric start button! They have a lot of low end power also but there oil capacity is on the low side so it has to be changed often... My wifes uncle just bought one and will be picking it up next week in Las Vegas so it will be street licsened in Nv for use in Cal.... gotta LOVE that loop-hole huh??

So in a couple of weeks I'll know first hand how nice it is, but it sounds like a great (but EXPENSIVE) bike!

You need a thneed
From Once-ler Industrys
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-29-2001, 08:54 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

One of my buddies has a KTM640. It DOES haul. He can do wheelies in 4th gear with it, he ran the enduro with it, and did pretty good. It's a beastly machine, his has a supertrapp exhaust on it, and the downside is...DON'T DROP IT, they weigh in excess of 300lbs.

<font color=blue>UGH, I HATE WHEN THAT HAPPENS.</font color=blue>
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-30-2001, 02:36 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I've been looking around KTM's website, and from what i've seen there nice high quality machines. Should i even mention them in the same sentence with a XR650L??? Or is it a no brainer no comparison type deal? Although I've yet to incounter information on prices. The LC-4 looks to be the one i like the most. What could a machine like this run??? How fast top end is it??? THanks guys Marc

post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-31-2001, 12:08 AM
Keyboard Implanted

the LC4's are the older style, they are the "stock dual sport" bikes, and yes you can say XR650L in the same sentence as the LC4 (but the KTM is still "better")

The newer KTM 4 strokes are faster (more like the YZ/WR's) and they have the electric start button [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

There sure are a lot of choices uh???

You need a thneed
From Once-ler Industrys
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-31-2001, 11:48 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

You're correct the Kyron, now i've found out that KTM has a LC4 400 and a LC4 640. The big question is would I rather sacrafice a little power and gain possibly some agility by going with the 400 over the 640. The newer models have the same specs as far as seat height and weight. So I'm guessing they share the same frame just different motors. Like I've probably said before, 70% of my riding will be on back roads and 30% will be off-road. I've found one of each bike within two hundred dollars of each other. So it's just down to which will fit me better i recon. It's just too bad that they are 100 miles away so it's not like i can go next door and take one for a ride. Talk later Kyron. Marc

post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-31-2001, 12:32 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

there is no replacement for displacement- that is old man methodology. get the 400 pipe it up, jet it ,K&N, cam possibly, then you have a improved power to weight ratio! why the hell would you need a 640,unless your pushin 640 on the scale, come on people. this is 2001. hook up the 400 and you will be smokin the 640 and savin gas money hahaha

post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-11-2001, 06:42 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Ahhh nothing like KTM POWER

I need a 550 I think the 500's just too slow.....

SPEED KILLS BUT YA GET THERE FASTER

'85 Dodge Omni GLH - (Goes Like Hell)
http://www.dodgez.com/movies/race.swf
'80 Toyota 4WD
KTM 500
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode