She Rumbles Again - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Dirtbike Lounge Hang out and talk two wheels. For Tech and Racing specifically, see those forums below.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-27-2001, 12:27 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

She Rumbles Again

Got the ol XL100 out finally.. for the year.. Put in a new cylinder shaft.. well .. new to me, because the cam adjuster was stripped in the old one.. andi had one on hand. Cleaned up the carb and everything, got her all back together. and i still got the same trouble she had before.

This isnt easy to explain. but here goes. Its like she has two different modes of revvin. when you start her, she wont idle .. but she'l stay in the low revs if u keep her there with throttle. but she wont rev up. however. .if u play with her, she gets past the crackin and poppin, and she's perfect in the mid-high revs, as long as you keep her there. as soon as she goes below that mark again, you gotta play wit her again to get her to rev. I think it has to do wit the gap on the points and the spark plug. a long time ago, she went funny, and i had to keep the gap on the plug REALLY small to keep her runnin right., If the gap was the right size, she wouldnt rev up. .she'd pop and crack and stuff. I think the ign timing might be wrong too, cause i had to play wit that to get her to go this good. and moving the gap on the points and the gap on the plug makes that mark where she wont rev past higher and lower. .buti cant seem to get it right. . any ideas? thanx

Evan.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-27-2001, 02:20 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: She Rumbles Again

Could be timing, could be valves, it's REALLY hard to tell...the valves might be too tight...and if the timing was even 1 TOOTH OFF, the piston would hit the valve, so i doubt the timing is off...ignition timing could be the problem...line up the line on the black box inside of the CDI box(by kickin the bike over), with the line on the things that spins around inside there, now look at the flywheel, and see if it has a "T" showing on the flywheel..that's about all i can think of...and if the T isn't there, i don't know how to fix it, lol, that's why i sent my bike to the shop.

<font color=blue>UGH, I HATE WHEN THAT HAPPENS.</font color=blue>
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-27-2001, 04:48 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Sorry Josh, She's not a CDI. . . points bike.

Evan.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-27-2001, 09:13 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

what?? EVERYBIKE has a CDI, everytime the two lines on it meet, the spark splug sparks, that's how the bike starts and runs....

post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-27-2001, 10:48 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thats not what i meant. . Your bike got a little box up on the cylinder head right? theres a contact set inside there. My contact set (points) are inside the flywheel. . . the ignition timing is correct as far as i can see..

Evan.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-27-2001, 10:50 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

yeah, mine has contact points on the flywheel too...you get what i was talkin about though, so that's good.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode