What should I get for teenagers? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Dirtbike Lounge Hang out and talk two wheels. For Tech and Racing specifically, see those forums below.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-30-2009, 12:17 PM Thread Starter

Question What should I get for teenagers?

I live out in a farm area and have three sons, ages 12, 13, and 15 (they weigh between 110 and 150 pounds). We have a couple hundred acres of land around us that we can explore thanks to a kind farmer who lives next door. I was thinking about getting them some combination of dirt bikes and quads for Christmas. I have very little experience riding myself so I'm looking to learn from others.

My plan is to get two vehicles so I can ride with them and supervise what's going on. I don't want them breaking their necks- just go out and have some fun. So here are my questions:

1. Should I get ATV's or dirt bikes for them? Is one easier to learn to drive than the other?
2. If I get them dirtbikes, what size should I get and can they safely have two riders?
3. New or used? If I go used, what should I look for? I don't want to spend more than $5k for two vehicles.
4. Would it be better to get one ATV and one dirt bike since the ATV's appear to be easier for beginners?
5. In the winter, I understand pulling a sled in the snow behind an ATV is a blast. Can you do the same with a dirt bike?

Thanks for the feedback,
A Dad in virginia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-02-2009, 03:39 PM
Novice

What to get Teenagers

If you kids can ride bicycles they can ride dirt bikes, ATV's are just plan easy to ride. Really comes down to preference and personality. I've had both and prefer my ATV's over the Dirt bikes but always had fun hill climbing and jumping stuff on the dirt bike.

ATV's are tricky - there are government regs on how old kids have to be to ride.

ATV's 250cc and up you have to be 16yrs old to operate them.

If they are old enough Check out the TRX250EX and the TRX400EX

There are no restrictions on dirtbikes just have to be able to touch the ground so when you stop you don't fall over. Also if the skill level is not there you kind of want to steer clear of the performance (R model race) machines.

I would check out Honda's line of enduro play machines I would say the CRF150F and the CRF230F would be good machines.

If you have more questions email me or call [email protected] - 877-437-1631

Later
Rob
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-18-2010, 04:27 PM

I'm a big fan of teaching kids to ride on dirtbikes first. They may be a little harder to learn on, but that's a good thing. It's too easy for a beginner to get on an ATV and go fast and then when something goes wrong it goes terribly wrong and they end up getting hurt. I would get them going on bikes because they demand more respect in the beginning. They may fall a few more times and come away with more bumps and bruises, but they will learn more and be able to transition to a four wheeler much easier in the future if they decide they want to go that direction.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 12:36 PM

Definitely go with the dirt bike over the ATV.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode