starting problems - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Dirtbike Lounge Hang out and talk two wheels. For Tech and Racing specifically, see those forums below.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-13-2008, 02:50 PM
mmarciello

starting problems

I am new to riding and I recently bought 94 cr 250. since the guy started it on the night I bought it I have only been able to ride it twice both times I had to kick it unitl I broke a sweat without it starting. I was then able to start the bike by jump starting it into first gear. Since then I have changed the spark plug and had the carbuerator cleaned by professional mechanic and still I can not get this thing to start. When It does it run, it is like a bear though. could this be a carbuerator jet problem because it is not a stock pipe, or a float problem. What excatly are floats!. And does this seem like a home fix.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-14-2008, 12:24 PM
stevet

RE: starting problems

A few things you could try:

When the engine is cold (hasn't been started within a couple of hours), pull up the choke and don't give it any throttle, then try kicking it. This is straight from my manual, and my bike (01 CR 125) ususally starts 1st kick when I do this.

Drain the gas in the carb before you start it. Lie the bike on its right side until all or most of the fuel spills out of the carb hoses. Make sure the fuel is turned off.

Make sure the air filter is clean.

Make sure the plug is the proper plug for your bike, is in good shape, and is properly gapped. Even a new plug can get fouled badly, but you can use gas or varsol to clean it up.

The floats could definitely be a factor. Did the mechanic just clean the carb or did he check the settings? Carbs are very tricky, but setting the float is actually fairly simple. You need to get the shop manual for your bike to find the proper float height. Floats sit at the bottom of the carb so that when the fuel level in the float bowl rises, so do the floats. At a certain level, a tab attached to the floats will cut off the fuel, letting the accumulated fuel in the float bowl to go down.

My bike is stock but aftermarket pipes may require re-jetting of the carb. You would have to contact either the dealer or the pipe manufacturer to find out. If it's the main jet that needs to be replaced it should be easy to do. Consult the shop manual for specific instructions.

Drain the carbon deposits from your engine. On my bike this is simple, just taking off a bolt and letting some black liquid drain out. Consult the shop manual for it's location.

When you say it runs like a bear, do you mean strong or sluggish? If it's hard to start and runs sluggish, could be improper fuel to oil ratio or air screw misadjusted.

This is by no means complete, but it's a start.

Good luck.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2008, 10:11 PM
mmarciello

thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevet View Post
A few things you could try:

When the engine is cold (hasn't been started within a couple of hours), pull up the choke and don't give it any throttle, then try kicking it. This is straight from my manual, and my bike (01 CR 125) ususally starts 1st kick when I do this.

Drain the gas in the carb before you start it. Lie the bike on its right side until all or most of the fuel spills out of the carb hoses. Make sure the fuel is turned off.

Make sure the air filter is clean.

Make sure the plug is the proper plug for your bike, is in good shape, and is properly gapped. Even a new plug can get fouled badly, but you can use gas or varsol to clean it up.

The floats could definitely be a factor. Did the mechanic just clean the carb or did he check the settings? Carbs are very tricky, but setting the float is actually fairly simple. You need to get the shop manual for your bike to find the proper float height. Floats sit at the bottom of the carb so that when the fuel level in the float bowl rises, so do the floats. At a certain level, a tab attached to the floats will cut off the fuel, letting the accumulated fuel in the float bowl to go down.

My bike is stock but aftermarket pipes may require re-jetting of the carb. You would have to contact either the dealer or the pipe manufacturer to find out. If it's the main jet that needs to be replaced it should be easy to do. Consult the shop manual for specific instructions.

Drain the carbon deposits from your engine. On my bike this is simple, just taking off a bolt and letting some black liquid drain out. Consult the shop manual for it's location.

When you say it runs like a bear, do you mean strong or sluggish? If it's hard to start and runs sluggish, could be improper fuel to oil ratio or air screw misadjusted.

This is by no means complete, but it's a start.

Good luck.
thank you for the help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode