HELP choosing my first dirt bike! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Dirtbike Lounge Hang out and talk two wheels. For Tech and Racing specifically, see those forums below.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 10:43 PM
Giuseppe

HELP choosing my first dirt bike!

Hi all,

I am new to this forum and I want to first thank all of you for the useful info you provide. I am sure you will help me with this.

I always had a bike in my life since I was 14 years old (I will turn 35 in few days), starting with a Cagiva 125cc, 250cc, ... and last bike I had was a Ducati Monster 620. I always had sport bikes, but I had chances to ride my friends' enduros (125cc and 250 cc) and go off-road several times in the country where I grow up.

I moved to canada (Vancouver) in 2006 and I was not thinking to by a bike for a while. But this while came to the end now. I can't live without a bike. So, here is the reason why I am writing.

I was thinking to buy an off-road bike, but I never owned one in my life, and honestly I do not have so much knowledge on this. I did a bit of research, and I realized that MAYBE the Kawasaki KLX450R is a good choice to start enjoying the beautiful British Columbia. I read that this bike is easy to ride and a bit slow, which is fine with me since this would be my first off-road bike. By the way, can I ride this bike on the road getting to the off-road trails? I am planning to try and seat on different bikes, however, before making any choice, but I was hoping to have your opinion before moving on this. I will mainly use this bike for recreation, going off-road with a group of friends (which I don't have yet, but hope to find in some club) but not aiming to do crazy trails or very competitive ones. I am 5'58" and 136lbs.

Looking forward to have your comments. Thanks!!

Giuseppe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-05-2008, 10:19 AM
Seventh Son

A KLX450 should make a great first bike. If you want to ride this on the street, you'll need to get the street legal version. Most manufacturers make street legal versions of their off road bikes.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2008, 12:28 AM
Giuseppe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seventh Son View Post
A KLX450 should make a great first bike. If you want to ride this on the street, you'll need to get the street legal version. Most manufacturers make street legal versions of their off road bikes.
Thanks. I'll go and visit Kawasaki this w-e but it doesn't look like there is a street legal version of the KLX450R, and I do not want to buy the 250cc.
Thanks for your reply.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2008, 10:13 AM
Seventh Son

Sorry, looks like I was wrong. appearantly Suzuki is the only one that makes a street legal version of their mid-sized off road bikes, the DR-Z400S.
Most others only make a 250 and a 650. The 250 is too small, I wouldn't buy one either. 650's are big and heavy. I used to own a KLX650, the power was O.K. but the rear suspention was way too soft for real off road riding.
Good luck!!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-08-2008, 09:43 AM
Giuseppe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seventh Son View Post
Sorry, looks like I was wrong. appearantly Suzuki is the only one that makes a street legal version of their mid-sized off road bikes, the DR-Z400S.
Most others only make a 250 and a 650. The 250 is too small, I wouldn't buy one either. 650's are big and heavy. I used to own a KLX650, the power was O.K. but the rear suspention was way too soft for real off road riding.
Good luck!!
Yesterday I spent most of the day looking at different bikes and I realized that maybe the Kawasaki 250 is a good start as well. I know that it is a shame if you think that with just few extra dollars you can buy the 450, but there is not street legal version of it and maybe it is too much power for my first off road experience. Yamaha makes a nice 250 as well, more aggressive and more off road than the Kawasaki, but also more expensive (2000$ more), higher seat (I can't touch the floor), and heavier (unfortunately all same features of the Suzuki 400S). I'll think a little bit.

Last edited by Giuseppe; 06-08-2008 at 09:47 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode