Timing XR-80 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Dirtbike Lounge Hang out and talk two wheels. For Tech and Racing specifically, see those forums below.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2007, 05:52 PM
wes.ferrell

Timing XR-80

I just rebuilt the top end of my 03 XR80 Honda dirtbike, I put it all back together per the service manual. It turns over and has compression but will not fire. I followed the instructions in the manual to set the flywheel "T" mark to the indicator point on the left engine case. I then set the cam lobes down and put the timing chain/sprocket on the cam with the O facing up (bolts parallel to the top of the head). oil pump is pumping and I checked with a voltmeter that I am getting ~7 volts at the spark plug wire. This thing ran a few years ago but the head was "wore out!" and now i just cant get it to fire. I cleaned the carb and have even put gas in the plug hole. It sounds different when you throttle it while kicking than compared to kicking it with no throttle.

Any ideas? I tried turning the cam over 180* also to double check but no difference.

Please help!

Wes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-30-2007, 01:33 PM

Wink

Firstly let me say that I don't have any experience in/on your bike, however the basics should hold true ... Fuel or spark, (all things being equal)

You also mention that you have a spark plug voltage of 7V ??
You should have somewhere between 40,000 to 100,000 volts !!! (of which you average multimeter is not gonna help you!)

Reset your timing back to "factory spec", then;

Remove your spark plug from the head ... Connect it to the cap and rest the threaded part against the engine somewhere ... now kick it over and see if there's a spark, if there is, put the plug back into the motor, connect the cap, and then;

Squirt a little petrol into the mouth of the carb and see it it will fire.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-03-2008, 06:33 PM
scott 13

Thumbs up

new spark plug wire and new plug.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode