Top End Rebuild 2001 RM 125 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Dirtbike Lounge Hang out and talk two wheels. For Tech and Racing specifically, see those forums below.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2007, 10:08 AM
john082603

Top End Rebuild 2001 RM 125

I want to rebuild my 2001 RM 125's top end. I have OEM piston and I think I have all I need and now... a man at our local track said I need to "Hone" the cylinder so the rings seat. He said the run the hone tool up and down 3-4 times to "rough" up the cylinder wall. He does this with his son's 60.

If you have done rebuilds please let me know about this. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2007, 02:54 PM

Thumbs up

The advice given is sound!
This is to bed the rings in quickly ... I'd also suggest dipping your piston & rings in SAE30 prior to the assembly
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2007, 05:21 PM
john082603

Smile Thanks

Thank for the reply and the suggestion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2007, 10:25 PM
john082603

Uh O?!

I just found out that the piston that came with my Suzuki top end kit has a flat top and is lighter than the one that is in the bike now. Is this a problem? When I did a search by part number this flat top piston comes up. However, my book (that come with the bike) calls for a different part number.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2007, 04:02 AM

Wink

February 2001 saw the introduction of a completely revised 125 and 250 for Suzuki.
Both bikes have entirely new frames with redesigned suspension along with Showa suspension components.
The engine on the 125 was also completely new, (now displacing 124.8cc with a bore of 54mm and a stroke of 54.5mm). The engine is roughly 2 pounds lighter and 21mm shorter than the previos model, and features a new 38mm Mikuni carburetor, revised intake tract, head and piston, exhaust port timing and exhaust pipe.
The new RM125 is claimed by Suzuki to be substantially more powerful than the previos model.

It seems you have one of the earlier models (which to all intents and purposes is a 2000 model!)
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2007, 08:16 AM
john082603

I thought something was goofy

I'm kinda worried now. Thanks for taking time for this mess of mine.

So do you think I can use the "flat topped" piston in my bike? Also, how do you think I should order parts now? Should I act as if this is a 2000?

Again, thanks!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2007, 01:56 AM

Red face

I don't know whether you can use it, but I would doubt it Can you not exchange it?

Also ... Is your old piston in fact @#$% - ed?
If not ... a cheaper alternative may be to get new rings for your old piston, (honing and cleaning the bore / barrel lightly before assembling), and seeing where that takes you? and yes, you should order parts as tho' it is a 2000 model
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode