2001 YZ 426 issues - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Dirtbike Lounge Hang out and talk two wheels. For Tech and Racing specifically, see those forums below.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-21-2007, 05:10 PM
yz'er

2001 YZ 426 issues

I just purchased a 2001 YZ 426 to ride with my son on his YZ80. The 426 seems to get REAL hot...especially where the exhaust pipe meets the cylinder. Anyone else had this issure? I heard it was "just how the 426 runs".
Alson it backfires a little when you let off the throttle. Any suggestions how to fix that.
I did get the starting issure resolved with a new spark plug and a carb cleaning.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2007, 03:14 AM

Wink

The YZ 426 is an amazing bike! ... 5 valve head and a pretty awesome cam of the shelf, (which is why they backfire on deacceleration).
In standard trim they do run hot, however you could unleash a lil power and allow it to run a lil cooler, (particularly around the exhaust port), simply by taking out the baffle, AND removing the "header restrictor" , (remove the silencer in it's entirety an look into the header pipe where the silencer assy. attaches, you will see what looks like a washer welded into the pipe ... GRIND IT OUT!), also;
After doing the above, you'll probably need to re-jet it ... I'd suggest going up one size on both main and pilot to a 165-170 main and 42-45 pilot ... Your air screw will be somewhere between 1 and 3/8 to 1 and 1/2 turns out.

Wrt your air box ... it stands to reason that if you unplug the exhaust, you need to do the same to the inlet ... removing the rubber "trumpet" on top of the airbox should allow it to flow a lil more air, without exposing you to any undue risk of water entering the airbox.

Finally on plugs ... contrary to what a lot of people think ... you want the COLDEST possible plug that will run in an engine without it bogging, and as a good rule of thumb, you can safely drop between one and two notches on the heat range!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2007, 11:39 AM
yz'er

I'll give those a try. Thanks for the help.
So..will these changes help it run cooler???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2007, 12:09 AM

Red face

" ... In standard trim they do run hot, however you could unleash a lil power and allow it to run a lil cooler, (particularly around the exhaust port) ..."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode