tuning info needed - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Dirtbike Lounge Hang out and talk two wheels. For Tech and Racing specifically, see those forums below.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2007, 10:17 PM
Mutt

tuning info needed

I have a early 60's vintage HD 2 stroke. the motor has a custom made cylinder.145 psi,plug color chocolate brown,no death rattles or pinging, piston port with 2 secondary transfer ports,186cc,10:1 compression,TS 185 piston,58mm stroke,30mm delOrto PHBH carb, K&N pod filter,vintage expansion chamber,straight 16 timing (no auto advance)15t trans sprocket/52t wheel sprocket,black goo oozes from exhaust header clamp (but that is being remedied with a new gasket, then I am sure it will ooze out the stinger).

The first problem I had while dialing in the carb ,was the motor was loading up with gas in it's mid-range. Needle clip second from bottom on needle. I changed it to the top position as that problem went almost away. Spark plug is dry and a chocolate color.The bike runs really strong, but it gets outta the hole and builds up speed much better if I slip the clutch slightly to let the revs build little by little, then ease off along the way.The clutch works fine,doesn't slip or drag. Is the mixture still too rich at 1/4-3/4 throttle or what is the solution top this problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2007, 01:34 AM

Wink Carb Tuning

Sounds like you're still a little rich on the upper midrange, (the degree of steepness of your needle)?

Carburetor Basics
The last thing I intend is to insult the intelligence of anyone reading this , but many of us aren't very conversant with the inner mysteries of carburetors, that said;

In the float chamber, the main jet controls the amount of fuel sent to a tube called the needle jet. The needle jet opens into the main bore of the carburetor and allows the fuel into the intake manifold by means of the negative pressure formed by the intake air rushing through the venturi. This is the very same principle witnessed by blowing across the top of a soda straw and drawing up the liquid. The recommended diameter of this venturi is approximately 80% of your inlet port diameter.

The piston carries the 'jet needle' that fits into the needle jet (aren't you just loving this?). The jet needle is straight for approximately 1/3 of its length; the rest is tapered. At idle and low speeds, the piston is nearly all the way down, pushing the needle into the needle jet most of the way. In this position, the straight, large-diameter part of the needle, (the root), fills up most of the space inside the needle jet tube, restricting the fuel flow to a narrow annular space around the needle. As the piston rises with increased engine speed, the needle is withdrawn from the jet. Because the needle is tapered, the annular space through which the fuel can travel increases, allowing more fuel to match the increased airflow.

From idle up to about 1/8 throttle (i.e. moderate / cruising speed), the major source of fuel is the pilot, or slow circuit. This includes the pilot jet and the pilot screw adjustment. On most carburetors, turning the pilot screw out results in a richer mixture at smaller throttle openings.

In summary; you can see, there are a number of variables involved in proper fuel delivery:

From zero to 1/8 throttle, the pilot circuit is the major contributor, influenced somewhat by the root diameter of the jet needle.
In the lower midrange, the starting point of the needle taper is crucial.
In the upper midrange, the degree (steepness) of the needle taper is significant.
In the high speed range, the main jet is the biggest factor.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Carb1.JPG (13.6 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Carb2.JPG (12.8 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Carb3.JPG (12.3 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by Anthony; 08-06-2007 at 02:10 AM. Reason: Typo
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2007, 01:39 AM

Wink Reading Spark Plugs

Thought I'd include these pic's, altho' it sounds like your plug colour is correct
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Plugs1.JPG (81.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Plugs2.JPG (77.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Plugs3.JPG (76.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Plugs4.JPG (77.8 KB, 0 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode