Getting a New bike... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Dirtbike Lounge Hang out and talk two wheels. For Tech and Racing specifically, see those forums below.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-16-2007, 12:32 AM
Steve073190

Getting a New bike...

Alright, I must state that I have absolutely no knowledge of dirt bikes and the like. With that being said I need your guys help. I am willing to spend $1200-$1700 on a new or very slightly (maybe a year) used bike. The bike doesn't need to be able to take a huge beating, I wont be running it over any hardcore terrain, mainly decent speeds of around 70-75 mph over some hilly dirt roads. I would just like a sturdy decent powered bike. I wanna say around 125-150cc. I am posting this at the risk of sounding utterly dumb founded, but my sons birthday is very soon and he would like one. So please help with a link to the bike and tell me why you would pick that one, thanks so much. If such power can not be obtained for this price please inform me.
~Stephen

Last edited by Steve073190; 07-16-2007 at 12:38 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-27-2007, 07:13 AM

Wow! You just said a mouthful! Seems you have not priced bikes in the last 10 years. New 125's cost around $5,000. A new 250-450 could easily set up back around $6,500. I ride a 1996 Kawasaki KDX 200. How much experience does your son have on a bike? If he is new to bikes I would highly recomend a Honda XR 200 or 250. Its a four stroke which means no power band or no pre-mix in the gas. If he has never rode I would not recomend a 2 stroke bike(CR,KX,RM,YZ,KTM) they have a power band, which if he's not careful when he gets on the gas hard it will flip him backwards and you have to keep these bikes reved up or you can easily foul a spark plug. I would go with an XR. You can find a decent one for around $1,800 or less. These bikes have engines that are bulletproof and easy to work on. Parts are also cheap and you can lug these bikes around and not have to worry about fouling a plug. Only downside to an XR is occassionaly you have to get the valves in the engine fixed, which aint to expensive. These bikes are not extremely fast, maybe 50mph but they do have great power and they make great woods bikes. Hope that helped you out. Stay away from the 4 valve models. These engines were in the earlier XR's and they were known to self destruct
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode