Cylinder head bolt leak? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Dirtbike Lounge Hang out and talk two wheels. For Tech and Racing specifically, see those forums below.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2000, 10:07 PM
Drew K1500

Cylinder head bolt leak?

I recently rebuilt my DR350s top end and replaced the head gasket. Now it leaks oil out of the left front Cylinder head bolt. There are no cracks at all. Does my gasket need time to seal? This is a new problem to me.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2000, 10:00 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Cylinder head bolt leak?

Drew, is that L. front stud/ bolt either a top end oil feed or return path? I'm not familiar w/ the oiling system on your bike, but I know some of the other 4-strokes utilize the cylinder studs and/ or oil passages(usually for delivery) close to the studs, and they usually have O-rings in addition to the main gasket, or copper crush rings as part of the gasket. Some gaskets do have a heat-activated sealant built into them, so it has to reach normal op. temp. at least once, but it shouldn't be leaking now and if it's delivery oil under pressure, be careful that the top end doesn't run dry. Bob

post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2000, 02:35 PM
Drew K1500

Re: Cylinder head bolt leak?

Turns out that the crush washer on the bolt was installed up side down. Its a very hard thing to miss if your not paying attention. The bottom is perfectly flat and the top is barely rounded. Also a little dirt was stopping the washer from sealing completely. Guess thats what happens when your in a hurry.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode