'96 RM250 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Dirtbike Lounge Hang out and talk two wheels. For Tech and Racing specifically, see those forums below.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-08-2000, 01:26 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

\'96 RM250

Its been over 10 yrs since I've ridden, but I got a wild hair and bought a '96 RM250. I couldn't beat the price. I know the CR's and YZ's are probably better choices but I would like to know how the RM stacked up against the others for that year. (Reliability, handling, power, suspension, etc.)I've tried looking up tests for this bike but no luck. I would prefer a more realistic opinion anyway.
I live in SoCal and would like to start riding Grand Prix's. I'm looking for any help/info on preparing the bike or myself for these races. Thanks Blksheep

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-08-2000, 04:33 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: \'96 RM250

This is borrowed info from "Wiseguy". This is what he replied when I asked the same question about my 96 YZ250:

"If you call Hi-Torque Publications in California they will supply you with all the info from the mags they sponsor for 3$. This includes test articles and also any other articles they have that concerns the bike you have i.e. hop up articles. #661-295-1910/128. Good Luck!"

I haven't done that yet. I've been too happy with the bike so far. When I feel it's time to make improvements I will give them a call. If you call them would you post again to let us know what you though? Thanks,
-Pete
P.S. It would help if you described yourself and your riding habits when it comes to modifications. Are you tall, big, fast, etc.?
P.S.S. I just tried that number and they are going to fax something to me. I'm not sure what to expect, but should be fun

Pete 83CJ7,4.2MPI,T18,all locked up, 96YZ250
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-10-2000, 06:46 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I was just working, ahh I mean checking the Web for information and found this article. Not sure how much it will help you, but this guy seemed happy with his 96 RM250: http://www.motonetmag.com/motonet/index.html
I hope it isn't a fo-pa to mention other web sites.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-11-2000, 08:49 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Check that "Hi-Torque" thing it's a great place to get test's on your buike. I think that 96 was a very good year for the Zuke. I remember the mags would reference that year when comparing the new ones. Good Luck!!

post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-11-2000, 10:42 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Blksheep, the RM, YZ, CR, KX, KTM... are all fabulous bikes. The engineering is almost identical. For instance they interchange between Kayaba and Showa forks (except for KTM), the carbs are either Mikuni or Keihin, some use one piston ring, other use two, etc... The only major difference is between the riders. Magazines are sponsored by adds placed by the manufacturers. For example, I firmly believe Dirt Bike magazine is owned by Honda. Their editor must be getting a kick-back. I seldom read an article that doesn't favor Honda over all other bikes. That is just not the case. You have a great bike. And so do the rest of you out there.... Don't be fooled.
AAM

post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-11-2000, 11:26 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I wondered about Dirt Bike. I used to subscribe back when I first started riding my IT in 1989. Granted Honda was killing everyone in SuperX, (Most of that could have been RJ. That guy was awesome!) but every time Iíd pick up a copy it would read like a Honda spec. Donít get me wrong it works. I wanted a Honda, but I stumbled on this Yamaha and it is a GREAT bike for me. Iím pretty sure that the bikes we buy today are better then 99% of the riders out on the trails.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2000, 04:41 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the replies. Every time I call over to Hi-torque the guys for Dirt Bike Mag are out, Probably riding. Anyway, I put in an order for back issues in '96. I've been riding the Zuke and it is way cooler than the bikes 13 yrs ago. Mainly because it is very fogiving for an idiot like me. It handles very nicely. Turns are smooth and sharp, and suspension is awesome.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2000, 09:05 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

That has conventional forks? With HI-Torque ask for the archives dept. Maybe that will help. Good Luck!!

post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2000, 05:13 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Wiseguy. Yes. It does have conventional forks.
A mechanical note about this RM250. The guy I bought it off of changed the jetting out to smaller jets (slow jet from #58 to #55, and Main from #172 to #170). His reasoning was he lives in the High desert of SoCal at 4000 ft elevation. I live at 1700 ft. The bike sputters & lurches at less than 1/4 throttle. After I rode the bike the 1st time the plug fouled. He had used a B8es, which is not really recommended for the bike. I switched it to a BR8EVX. It fouled also. I have decided to (buy) and put the factory #58, & #172, jettings back in. Hopefully this will fix the prob.
I finally got through to someone at Hi-Torque archive. I think she just pulls info 'cause she had to ask me who manufactured the Zuke.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode