CRF450 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Dirtbike Lounge Hang out and talk two wheels. For Tech and Racing specifically, see those forums below.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-20-2003, 02:23 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

CRF450

I have a CRF and I was just wanting to talk to others who have one, i also have a few problems, does anyone know how to fix the problem of the chain hitting the tire and frame? [img]images/graemlins/scs.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-20-2003, 06:21 PM

Re: CRF450

um...lemme think..oh, i know...tighten your chain???? [img]images/graemlins/chair.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-02-2003, 07:58 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

my chain is already too tight, i've tried that, sounds like you don't have one, do you?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-02-2003, 10:07 PM

good try josh [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

and jsut for the record, jsoh does not have a crf...or any bike for that matter, but the ol' XR was a hunny
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-07-2003, 12:17 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The stock chains on most new bikes pretty much suck after a few rides. Especially with they torque of the 4fitty cranking on it. Buy a high end D.I.D or Renthal o-ring chain. May run you anywhere from 60 to 100 bills but it is well worth it. The chain will always have some contact with the tire and frame but a high quality chain will limit the contact.
Good Luck!!
[img]images/graemlins/givemebeer.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-22-2003, 11:34 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

yeah, i ate my stock chain in a couple of rides, its not the chain or sprockets, i got the tool steel from sidewinder, and the ti-chromoly o-ring chain, but i did put the 500 kit from wiseco and had it ported, so that might be the problem, anyways, if anyone hears of a fix for the problem other than the expensive amp link, please let me know, by the way, a buddy and I may just make one, is anyone interested if we do decide to make a fix? [img]images/graemlins/scs.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-23-2003, 03:17 PM
portgrinder

riiiiiight
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-23-2003, 05:19 PM

This is going to sound a little Koo-Koo and I can't explain exactly why it worked but here goes. I have a 130/80 on my WR and a stock O-ring chain. The rubber is wider than stock and once in a while I'd get a little knob rubbing but nothing to get excited about. When I studded the tire the studs stuck out a little farther and made lots of contact. I started ripping off the side knobs. I cocked the tire to the right with the chain adjusters and kept tightening the chain 'till I could play a high C note on it but still had the same problem. I even made a little guide out of aluminum and fastened it on top of the swingarm under the rubber chain/swingarm protector. That lasted 'till I hit 3rd gear.
Now here's the weird part. Another problem I had was the studs scuffing inside the swingarm once in awhile. I popped on a rear sprocket with 2 less teeth to let the wheel pull back farther in the swingarm using the same chain. 2 teeth was too much and with the wheel all the way back the chain was too loose. It was late and I didn't feel like taking everything apart again but I did feel like going for a ride so I did, even though the chain was waaayy loose. The chain only tapped the tire a couple of times the entire ride compared to hitting every few minutes before. I don't know if it's because the wheel is pulled back farther or the chain is loose or if the studs have finally worn the side of my chain away or if there were spaceships in the area, but for some reason it's much better. Give it a try, what have ya got to loose?
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-23-2003, 05:27 PM

Oops! I guess I read your post a little too fast and didn't notice the "and frame" at the end. Pulling the wheel back may not help the frame slap out.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 04-24-2003, 12:18 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Spaceships??? Anal probes?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode