bike recomendation needed - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Dirtbike Lounge Hang out and talk two wheels. For Tech and Racing specifically, see those forums below.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-20-2003, 03:49 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

bike recomendation needed

Hello,

I'm new to dirtbikes, have never owned one, but have ridden a few a long time ago.

Anyhow, i'm unfamiliar with what bikes are on the market and what each one's best intentions are, so I need some output.

Which would be a few good choices for me to look into for a variety of different types of riding. A lot of the riding will be just playing around in the field or out on some trails.

I'm 6' and weigh almost 200lbs if that factors into the decision much.

Also, what are the typical differences in the motocross bikes, and the bikes listed as offraod bikes on the manufacturers' websites?

Thanks for any input you can provide

Shane
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-20-2003, 10:49 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: bike recomendation needed

Just starting out I'd suggest a Honda XR250 or XR400. All you've got to worry about is gas and oil, and smooth power delivery. If and when you decide to upgrade, they hold their value well and should be easy to sell.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2003, 04:24 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I weigh just over 200lbs and the XR 250 doesn't cut it. I'd recommend an XR 400. Try to get as new of a year as possible. They were first around in 1997 and they've improved since then. You can pick up used ones for under $3k for a 2000 and about $4700 new.

I've been riding an XR 350 since 1985, original owner, I still ride it and push it hard. I also had XR 200's.

Good luck

JD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-30-2003, 07:34 PM
94GMC_Sub

If you have never rode before, I would go with the XR250, but you should get some stiffer more race-type suspension, because its really soft.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode