Street legal title for dirt bike - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Dirtbike Lounge Hang out and talk two wheels. For Tech and Racing specifically, see those forums below.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-18-2003, 05:28 AM Thread Starter
Old Hand

Street legal title for dirt bike

Anyone on here ever try to convert an offroad bike to street legal status? Was wondering what kind of headache I should be expecting. I know it has to have a horn, turn signals, working brake light. Most of the conversion kits have all of these problems taken care of. But how hard is it to get the title changed. The police inspection is going to be no problem (know the inpector). I just plan on riding on local fire roads and trails, not much street use. I want to convert a wr 426.

[img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-18-2003, 04:50 PM

Re: Street legal title for dirt bike

Mr.T is back on the air. Magically all my posting privilidges have been restored.
I'm not sure if you boys south of the border play by the same rules as we do but:
A friend of mine licensed his XR 350 a few years ago back in Nova Scotia. All he needed was the serial # of the bike, proof of ownership, and proof of insurance. To pass inspection he needed DOT tires (which he borrowed and switched back after inspection) DOT headlight, brake light, pass muffler sound level test and glue on a plate holder somewhere. He didn't have to stick turn signals on the bike 'cause hand signals were still accepted. The title didn't seem to be a problem at all.
To license my WR up here I had to provide proof of ownership(receipt from dealership) proof of insurance, and cash. I don't even have a brakelight let alone blinkers or DOT tires. If they won't license your WR fly your papers up to me,(if you think you can trust me). I'll get it set up for you and then you can just switch back to a Michigan plate and have a cool polar bear plate to hang on the wall of your trophy room.
You can FedEx the stuff up for a quick response. They guarantee no longer than 1 or 2 season delivery.att
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1029654-FedEX.jpg (36.7 KB, 19 views)
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-18-2003, 06:57 PM

Or some places don't even require lights as long as you're home by sundown.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1029795-Street Legal.jpg (51.0 KB, 15 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-18-2003, 10:31 PM
Firecracker

It totally depends on the state you live in. Talk to the state patrol, they can tell you exactly what you have to do.

[img]images/graemlins/givemebeer.gif[/img]

Totally unrelated, I just like that one.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-19-2003, 05:38 AM Thread Starter
Old Hand

Stars for tim and firecracker.

I checked with the county police, I forgot I did need dot approved tires also like tim said. There are still 2 426's left on the show room. My dad keeps telling me to wait for a 450 with the e button. Right now everyone is fighting tooth and nail to get them and I'd be on a waiting list. I can pay for either bike right now, but I don't want to make the wrong choice. I'll keep you in mind tim, it may come to that. The banshee I bought has an aftermarket or replacement frame on it and there giving me the run around for the new title. I'm sold on the wr though, especially after reading about Tim's perdicament's on his. I'm tired of burning up vacation day's just for a decent day of riding. They closed down all of the local riding spots, and I have to drive 3 hrs to the nearest trail system. A street legal wr is the way to go if your in the same situation I'm in. I'll let you guys know what happens. Thanks for the info and Idea's.

Did you ever get that email tim?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-19-2003, 07:36 AM

E-mail???
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-19-2003, 11:37 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Good to see you back on board Tim. Yeah, I've sent you an email as well. The same day you sent me that one explaining the troubles getting on the site.

Something Kyron said a long time ago, what're they doing to save all this weight? They've taken away 5th gear but how far does it go till it becomes unreliable or disposable? [img]images/graemlins/spank.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-19-2003, 12:51 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I love it when I get quoted [img]images/graemlins/givemebeer.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2003, 04:51 AM Thread Starter
Old Hand

Not sure what kyron said, but in the what sould I get post way back when I just was explaining why a new yz450 would not make a good offroad bike. They made it a 4 speed, redesigned the frame, and decreased the oil capacity. They redid the head to make it lighter along with the different crank wich has a longer stroke. The wr still has the 5 speed gearbox and decent oil capacity. Just better have a friend at yamaha, or the dealership to get one this year. I'm just wondering if the new motor is going to be as reliable as the old one. Electric starting would be nice though. Yeah tim did you get that e-mail I sent?
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2003, 09:14 AM
Keyboard Implanted

I think thats about what I said............. [img]images/graemlins/RockOn.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode