nice bike, or nice car? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Dirtbike Lounge Hang out and talk two wheels. For Tech and Racing specifically, see those forums below.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2003, 10:31 PM Thread Starter

nice bike, or nice car?

here's my predicament...i am goin for a car, i want your ideas...when i get back from boot camp, i am gonna have about 2500 bucks, and i was gonna buy my friends metro(looks like the picture i attatched, only crappy condition) for 150, and spend the rest on a 250...but i have changed my mind...because when i get back, i will never have time to ride a bike, i will have a job, and want to spend time with friends and my girlfriend, and if i get a bike, it will just sit in the garage...so i found out today that my friend brians mom will sell me her 94 chevy lumina minivan for 600 bucks, excellent condition, but engine is shot, dad sais get it when i get back, we will get an engine from pick a part (150 for engine) and replace all the seals, gaskets, etc, all together like 300 for engine replacement, so that's 900 into the van, i will sell it for 3500-4000...so take 900 away from about 2500, u have about 1500 (1600 i know, im estimating) and then 3500-4000 for the van, about 5000-5500...that's if everything goes well...so i can either have something like in the attatched picture, and a bike that just sits in the garage and doesn't get used...or something like in my next post....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1028105-metro.jpg (25.1 KB, 41 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2003, 10:34 PM Thread Starter

Re: nice bike, or nice car?

or i could get something like this (attatched picture) and hold off on the bike untill i graduate and get out to oregon to be a police officer...whattaya guys think?? 300exrider sais i should just get the bike, LMAO! i think im doin the smart thing....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1028110-smokey n the bandit trans am.jpg (27.2 KB, 43 views)
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-17-2003, 05:12 AM
Old Hand

I told you about this a long time ago! I'd get the minivan, redo the motor and drive it into the ground, If you can swing it, get a used 4 stroker for cheap, dr350 or something like that for when you want to ride. The whole time your driving the party van you can keep saving up for a better vehicle and another bike. You could make your reliable as a rock dr street legal for cheap transportation too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-17-2003, 10:23 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Boot Camp??!! [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] What're you up to Josh, a State Trooper?? Or the reserves? [img]images/graemlins/AR15firing.gif[/img] I thought you were too young for that..... I'd check to see which one is the cheapest to insure, and the best on gas....probably the Trans Am [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-17-2003, 10:28 AM
Keyboard Implanted

I heard ............ boot camp WTF??

Then you said MINI VAN..... those are the automobile equavialnt of the quad [img]images/graemlins/AR15firing.gif[/img]

What about a Toyota truck and a XR200 [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-17-2003, 12:10 PM Thread Starter

well im set on savin up for a nice car, i want a camaro or trans am or chevelle, HOPEFULLY, i just realized i will have no time to ride a bike, and plus, i am moving to oregon after i graduate next year....i still wanna get one when i get out to oregon, but not right now i won't get one....im guessin the insurance (through what my parants have) is gonna be about 1300 a year on a car like that...im going into the national guard, free college, 6000 sign on bonus..it'll be all good
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-18-2003, 05:17 AM
Old Hand

Your insurance will be more then that, well it should be anyways. I was gonna get a camaro last year, but it was going to be almost twice that amount. With these screwey gas prices going way up and down, I wouldn't buy a muscle car right now. I'd get a baisic 6 cylinder car. Been in your shoes before josh. Momma and dadda didn't pick up the tab for me either. I drove baisic cheap cars until I got situated and could afford a nice vehicle. Untill you turn 24 your insurance on any sporty vehicle is going to be sky high. I thought the van was a good idea, if you replaced the motor, and the rest of it was sound. You could lay a bike on its side and fit it into the back, or get one of those hitch carriers later on. I drove a celebrity, built a cheap small trailer with my dad. Pulled my cr to local riding spots on the weekends. The cr set me back 1200 bucks and the car cost about 1500. That was a long time ago now though. When you get a bike, your gonna want a truck. Once I could afford it I bought a truck. Don't like driving cars much anymore.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-18-2003, 11:23 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Talking to family back east and they're paying $.899/L for gas. That'd be $2.24/ US gallon. I bought 94 octane a couple days ago and it was $.949/L !!!! [img]images/graemlins/lame.jpg[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-18-2003, 01:02 PM

joah get a bike now before u turn into kyron or chubby dirtbiking at 40 [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
i think u should go for the asprin car and a very nice bike [img]images/graemlins/RockOn.gif[/img]
otherwise look for another car that is not "awesome" but not like the asprin car, and a good bike or try to get not so bad bike and a not so bad car [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
either way josh i will be at your door step one day [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-18-2003, 09:01 PM Thread Starter

well mom n dad's insurance is 390 a year, and dam's stang is classified as sport, and his is only 680 a year on that thing...and plus, the military pays good, i'll be gettin 170 a month off of them just from that one weekend a month, plus having afterschool job, plus when dam was in highschool mom n dad gave him 30 bucks a week for gas, they'll do the same for me...so i still think im gonna do it, muscle cars taht need minor work(redone interior, or a new paint job, or a few rust spots) are going for about 1-2 grand around here so i still think im gonna do it if i can find a good deal, dad said insurance will be about 1 grand a year
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode