KTM vs. Yamaha vs. Honda - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Dirtbike Lounge Hang out and talk two wheels. For Tech and Racing specifically, see those forums below.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-24-2003, 03:14 PM Thread Starter

KTM vs. Yamaha vs. Honda

with the new dirtbikes out and still comin buy honda (the crf250x and R 4 strokes) what do you think will have the best 4 strokes bikes, (mx) from 250-450,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-24-2003, 07:14 PM

Re: KTM vs. Yamaha vs. Honda

best bikes differ from person to person
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-24-2003, 11:01 PM
Firecracker

Well, the Yamahas have been around the longest. If you are looking for a woods bike, I definitely would NOT go Yamaha because the WRFs are heavy and the YZFs are NOT geared for the woods, plus they are too explosive in power and stall too easily.

The Hondas are the lightest and easiest to start, by far.

The KTMs have a lot to recommend them but many people don't like the European handling characteristics. The suspension and steering is different. Not bad, just hard to get used to.

I'd say try a KTM but I am somewhat prejudiced towards orange bikes.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-25-2003, 06:40 AM
Old Hand

kawasaki lol [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

I miss the purple and white ktm's. I think the 94 bikes with the ktm k style graphics packedges where some of the coolest looking bikes ever maid. Since yamaha gave up purple and white at almost the same time ktm should have kept it. I liked them colors better then the orange, even if some people say that purple is a (girly) color. No offence intended fire cracker. [img]images/graemlins/AR15firing.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-25-2003, 10:51 AM Thread Starter

ya i am starting to like hondas a lot more now....KTM's i think will always be on the top, or next to, otherwise lets see what the old guys have to say [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-25-2003, 02:39 PM
jaysbronco

i like the 2003 yzf 450 myself if you ride woods go 1 tooth down on rear sprocket but im a 2002 yz250 owner all my buddys ride yzf400/426/450 bikes i keep up well with a 13oz flywheel weight on tho
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-25-2003, 10:53 PM

i love ktms...the steering is different, only because u have a weird shaped fender if u ask me...lol, j/k the steering does take a little bit to get used to, but not long at all, i hop on em n within like 15 minutes im used to it
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-26-2003, 09:28 PM Thread Starter

your my hero [img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-29-2003, 07:23 PM
Firecracker

I love purple. It is kind of girly but not as bad as pink. Back when I was going to buy a KDX, I was going to do the whole thing in purple and black. [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

KTMs have different steering geometry than Jap bikes, causing them to "push" or understeer or go wide in corners. It isn't good or bad, just different. The 03s are supposedly more Japanese-like due to a re-designed steering head/clamp setup.

Hey 300exrider, it's "you're" not "your."
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-29-2003, 08:45 PM

and in this corner, we have regional spelling champing "firecracker" ...idiot...don't come on this board, talkin crap over 1 person spelling something WRONG!!!

lol, just kiddin firecracker [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

as far as ktm goes, one thing they are prone to, is once u get in like 3rd gear, 4th gear, and start hammerin on the gas, the bars wobble like madd...they just start to wobble bad untill u let off the gas, i guess a steering stabilizer would fix that....hehe i love ktms.....

did i mention i love ktm's?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode