Yam DT 175 White Smokem Help - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Dirtbike Lounge Hang out and talk two wheels. For Tech and Racing specifically, see those forums below.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2003, 11:05 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yam DT 175 White Smokem Help

I have a Yam DT 175 that spits tons of white smoke when she runs. I have unplugged the oil line from the pump so I Know it is not engine oil. It seems to get worse when I fill up the crank case with oil. That oil seems to get into the head and the go to exhaust and burn. Blown gasket? cracked head? any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2003, 04:44 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Yam DT 175 White Smokem Help

Hi
I'm 99.9% sure that the DT series were and still are 2-Strokes. You DO NOT want to put oil in the crankcase. I made the same mistake with my snowmobile when I rebuilt it. A mechanic had to tell me that no oil goes in the crankcase. You also don't want to unplug the oil line for any great length of time if its oil injected. I would say if you did fill the crankcase you probably would get some blow back to the head. I'll let others with more experience tackle this one though but in my own experience all my 2-Strokes spit a little white smoke at least till it warms up. My 2cents worth, and that's all its worth, is to just mix your own fuel, oil and gas that is, and start it and run it a little while see if the smoke clears. Hope you get it going alright.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2003, 04:57 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

It is a 2 stroke. Why would they put a screw cap with a dip stick if it doesn't take oil? It even says "oil 600 cm3" above it. It is not a little smoke either! It makes a cloud as big as 3 school buses! every time you hit the throttle!!the engine oil pump works fine. mixture is good engine runs great! just all this smoke!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2003, 05:18 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The dip stick goes to the gear case. Sorry to get specific but it does make a difference. You might have a blown gasket between the gear case and the crank case. So the oil from the gear case is being sucked in to the crank case and being burned with your regular gas-oil mix which would cause is to smoke like crazy. I believe that the gasket is just former gasket so if that is it you'll have to crack the block, scrape off the old stuff, and put new on.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2003, 03:38 AM
Old Hand

lol at this post, you guys made my day. You probrably blew your base gasket underneath the cylinder. And yes the dt is a two stroke.

[img]images/graemlins/givemebeer.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2003, 09:17 AM
Keyboard Implanted

That pump you speak of is for 2-stroke oil, so you dont have to do math and mix the oil straight into the gas......

The other oil is for the clutch/transmisson.......

It should smoke a bit BUT oil shouldnt be dripping out the tip of the exhaust either...........

Hows it run other wise??
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2003, 10:27 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

so you are saying there is a gasket between the gear case and the cylnder head? I know of only the cylnder head gasket and the one at the base of the cylnder. Is there a gear case gasket? And to fix it I would need to take the entire thing apart? Right? [img]images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2003, 10:53 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I say buy yourself a CLYMER manual for your bike and you'll find the solution to allot if not all of your problems, with your bike that is. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
There only like $20 or so.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-07-2003, 01:30 PM
mikrosilakhan

Ive got a feeling this post needs way more info.... What kind of oil are you mixing wiht the fuel now and at what ratio?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode