Wut should i get? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Dirtbike Lounge Hang out and talk two wheels. For Tech and Racing specifically, see those forums below.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-17-2002, 09:18 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Wut should i get?

Hey Guys im a newbie, im not anticipating on racing, just some outdoor fun, wut bike would u recomend?> i was looking at the yamaha tt-R 125LE is it pretty good? Im 14 years old 5'11" and about 180, do u think this would be a good choice? thx for ur help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-18-2002, 08:35 AM

Re: Wut should i get?

I personally like the TTR 250, but there are others here that don't like it. I've never ridden one. I own a DRZ 400 and really like it. Your definately big enough to ride something with a little more power than that 125 will offer. I think your considering a 4 stroke is a good thing, that's just me. What kind of experience do you have? Where will it be ridden, woods, desert, mountains...?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-18-2002, 03:10 PM
Keyboard Implanted

The 250 would be better for you because at 5 11" and 180 the 125 will get boring very quick.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-18-2002, 06:26 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

im going to be riding in mountains and woods, and ummm i was also thinking about the yz125, should i get the yz or the ttr250, i have had no experience riding a dirtbike. Thanx for the help guys
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-18-2002, 07:24 PM

I'm not a two stroke guy, but am familiar with them and not opposed to them at all. I'd like to get hold of an older big bore two stroke someday before they totally disappear. That YZ 125 will get pretty busy in the woods, more shifting than a thumper. It'll be pretty quick too. The TTR is going to be more user friendly but no where near as quick as that YZ or as nice over the bumps. If your going to be riding with friends (recommended), with two strokes, your probably going to be little slower in the straits, just try to get there first. [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Either motorcycle could be a lot of fun. Just remember to ride within your limits, not other peoples. My friendly parental advice. [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-19-2002, 09:33 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

If you will be riding in the mountains, forget the YZ125, unles you weigh about 100 lbs. You will need lots of low end power, and the YZ125, or any other 125 MXer, will be under powered. Brian is on the right track, four stroke seems to be the best choice as far as learning curve and necessary power to make your adventur a fun one. You may want to look into an XR400. User friendly, yet technologically advanced enough to not be boring after a few months. As a beginner, you may still want to look at the TTR with the electric start, hot starts on four strokes are a pain, and can be very frustrating if you have to do it multiple times on a ride.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-19-2002, 10:55 AM

I can definitely vouch for the hot starts. Sometimes it seems like the KLX is just dead set against starting, I had to actually threaten it with physical violence one time to get it to start [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Kicking a motorcycle to life that doesn't want to start can be quite an experience. Especially if you’re out in the middle of no-where, just the thought of having to push it back can be stressful. Now, the DRZ E, that's another story all together. Fall down, pick it up, push the little button, then go! I love it.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-19-2002, 02:07 PM
Keyboard Implanted

TTr250 with the button, way better than the YZ125
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-19-2002, 04:07 PM

except when it comes to riding on a track, or nice open woods, or going over any jumps, or going fast for that matter [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-24-2002, 03:37 AM
Old Hand

Sounds like a kdx200 or 220 would be perfect for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode