Can someone help me out with this one? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Dirtbike Lounge Hang out and talk two wheels. For Tech and Racing specifically, see those forums below.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-30-2002, 01:14 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Can someone help me out with this one?

Back in April I broke my counter shaft on my bike. I tore down the motor to fix it, got it all back together, and everything was perfect. Until this last weekend, I was up riding today, and the bike stalled half way through the ride, so I went to start it, and the kick starter went down but didn't catch, so I tried it again, nothing so I pushed it up a hill to bump start it. Got it running everything was good or so I thought. I didn't hear any out of the normal noises, but there was something I couldn't put my finger on. I was about half way back to the truck and decided to stop and wait until my girlfriend came back with the truck. Well I get home and start to tear into it to see what is wrong with it, I figured I will remove the clutch basket to see in there instead of tearing it all apart, and sure enough, I broke the counter shaft in the exact same place as I did back in April. So now I have to tear it all apart to replace that damn shaft.

My question is, might anyone know why it keeps breaking? Last time someone suggested that it might be because I might have had my chain alittle too tight. This time I know it shouldn't have been the problem, but might there be some other explination for this.

The end of the shaft broke off in the bearing on the right side of the case, where the gear attaches, which mates up with the gear on the back of the clutch basket and the kick starter gear.

I'm kinda thinking that it might be a bad bearing, but everyone I have talked to has never heard of such a problem.

Forgot to mention my bike is a 98 XR400

Thanks,
Tony

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-30-2002, 02:39 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Can someone help me out with this one?

Thats not good......
I "bet" that somthing else is broken/worn and causing that to happen?
I'd call a shop that specializes in XR's and see what they suggest. I've never heard of the shaft it's self breakin.

Good luck..

Oh.... I know you checked the tire pressure? right [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-30-2002, 02:57 PM
bodgecr250

sounds to me like possibly the bearing behind the clutch basket has slop in it and is putting pressure on the countershaft? my bet is the chain is too tight or a bearing is shot putting pressure on the cs. or how do you ride this bike? do u use the clutch while shifting? do u shift while under wot? do you kick it while its in gear much(added stress if his clutch isnt adjusted right)?

o yea this is brian(damnbrokenwrist and xr80man)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-31-2002, 11:53 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

The bright side is look at the practice you're getting splitting the case [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

Probably be a good thing to replace all the bearings in the case and make sure you're chains not too tight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode