KTM 300, thoughts on pipes - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Dirtbike Lounge Hang out and talk two wheels. For Tech and Racing specifically, see those forums below.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2002, 01:03 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

KTM 300, thoughts on pipes

Anybody have any experience putting a FMF gnarly pipe on a 1994 or newer KTM 300 EXC or MXC. I got a little to close to my buddy's XR650 during some fast trail riding this week and ended up with a hole in my pipe that matched his shifter. I am looking for a bunch of low end torque. Is it worth puttin on a new silencer also? Will it make power like a CR 250 with this pipe? I like the limited noise output of the stocker but could stand a little more noise. Can you lighten the flywheel on this year like on the 97 model? Any help appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2002, 04:22 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: KTM 300, thoughts on pipes

from what i know you really can't lighten a flywheel...unless it had flywheel weights put on them then u can take them off...as far as gettin power of a CR250, no, your not going to get that, especially if you put a low end pipe on it, cr's hit hard mid-top end, most mx bikes don't ohave alot of low end....as far as low end i'd say go for the gnarly, i rode a CR250 that had a gnarly pipe on it, it was pretty sweet, gave it nice low end and a good mid range hit...as far as new silencer it depends on if that pipe will fit in with the stock silencer or not....
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2002, 04:43 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

you can get your flywhell lightened, it has to be machined. if you want to match a cr 250 power output(yoor prob there already it just doesnt hit as hard) i would get a rev pipe and a spark arrested silincer to keep the noise down otherwise any other silencer will add noise to your ride. a lighter flywheel will make it rev quicker. also try new reeds.is your rear tire a 120 or a 110. if its a 120 try a 110, it will be a little lighter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2002, 08:28 AM

I put the FMF Q on my DR, it was just a little louder, which was ok with me since I thought it was a little too quiet in stock trim. The directions that came with it weren't that clear when it came to a spacer that came with the pipe. Tried to call them but it was the weekend and their number, at that time, referred you to two different bike shops, which were closed when I called. The web site has pretty good info too, just no diagrams as to that pipe. I figured it out after a short ride and saw the back tire rubbing on the canister. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I do like the pipe. The clubs around here all want to do sound tests prior to competing, (for wood's events) not sure about the rest of the world, so if that's an issue....
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2002, 11:21 PM
portgrinder

cut about an inch out of the fattest section of your pipe and weld er back together. then put a bolt through the end of your silencer. that will be the cheapest rev pipe ever built.

um, don't actually do that, but it would work
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode