I want one - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Dirtbike Lounge Hang out and talk two wheels. For Tech and Racing specifically, see those forums below.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2002, 02:43 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I want one

Over labor day weekend I took my warrior up north with 3 friends where theres lots of trails. One of them was a tag along, who hardly even knew how to shift gears, so I was kinda obligated to lend him my quad. There were also three bikes, a CR125, CR250, and a YZ250. I only spent about an hour riding my new warrior, rest of the time was spent on the 125. I'v hardly ever ridden dirtbikes, maby here and there down the road or somethin. Well anyways I want a dirtbike now damnit, it's just seems like so much more fun. What should I do, I like having the quad, thats why I bought it, exspecially in the snow it's fun pulling sleds and dicking around. Dealerships useually sell pre-owned bikes dont they? I dont want a new one, I was thinking that because maby I could put one on my yamaha card and just add that to my other payments or somethin. A friend said he would sell me his YZ250 for $750 and it's in nice condition, good deal, but it's to damn fast for me, I liked his nice CR125, good and light, but he wants $1500 for it. Probly the best thing would be to buy that 250, it runs good, and in nice condition, but I think it's geared for motocross or something because it has amazing torque, got used to riding the 125 haveing to rev high, hoped on that thing and almost flipped over and left a 3" deep trench. Well what would any of you recomend, I don't want to sell my quad, should I go for the 250 I can afford it......mabe, I'd really prefer a nice light 125... Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2002, 09:17 AM
cleartoy

Re: I want one

Sounds like you are more comfortable on the 125, so go for it. The 125 is a rev happy motor like you already experienced. Thats where it makes its power. The 250 will pull lots better off the bottom. I have a 99YZ 250 and it is awesome!

I wouldnt reccomend a 250 for anyone under like 175lbs, but that is my opinion.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2002, 09:42 AM
Keyboard Implanted

You've seen the light..............
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2002, 12:51 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

How high of a price should I exspect to see on a preowned 125 from a dealer?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2002, 04:46 PM

If that 250 is in fair condition, the price sounds pretty good, though I didnt' catch the year. If you are, can I use the word "mature" here, enough to realize it might be too fast, then your probably ok to know when to decide to back off, I'm 38 and still learning! (not that age has anything to do with it), it does help put perspective on a lot of things though! I hesitate to say this, considering postings as of late, but these things can and do kill. The 250 will leave room to grow. Now, what you should really consider is looking at a 4 stroke, now....thats a real motorcycle! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I realize this is probably of no help what so ever, It's just that I'm half way through a bottle of cheap wine, and a couple beers along with some ibprofin to combat this damn root canal I just had. I think it's still infected. Tooth aches suck. Well....just go get something with two wheels and your good! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2002, 05:29 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The YZ was an '89 and so was the CR250 and the 125 was a '94. Yea I know I could grow into the 250, it's still quite a learning curve. I dont really prefer 4stroke on a dirt bike because all the ones I'v seen are really heavy. I'm 6'1" 165lbs so I'm not real big, the 125 fit pretty good cause I could contol it easy and lift it on the stand. My minds kinda made up on that, would it pay off to wait untill winter to buy one, do the prices go down? Thanks
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2002, 11:03 PM
FordDiesel

Around here (central Texas) the prices dont change that much. I guess mostly cause we usualy dont have much of a winter LOL Hey man, where abouts are ya? I'd like to get another bike and that yz sounds perfect and at a good $
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2002, 11:37 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

i'd go for the 125, u sounded like it had plenty of power for you....i'd say stick with a 125 and u'll be safe...i pefer 250's honestly, i love them, for cleartoy, man, im 155lbs and i love 250's, i havn't ridden a 125, but have ridden a 250f, and i'll tell ya, i'll take the power of the 250....also bigger fourstrokes are nice....mx fourstrokes that is....woods bikes pizz me off anymore....but dude, i'd say for you, u sounded like the 250 was outta hand for you, so don't try to get a 250 man...
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2002, 02:04 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I live in michigan closest area you might know is flint which is about 20miles north of me. $750 is what he said he would sell to me, he has it up on cycle trader for like $1200-OBO.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2002, 09:07 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

here's an idea...if u get the 250 put some flywheel weights on it, it tones it down a bit, then it won't be so snappy, it'll still be TONS more than that 125, but it won't be so scary fast...still have same speed and everything, flywheel weights just make it rev a bit slower so u get like better grip n stuff...n it tones it down...know what i mean? or no? 750 for an 89 yz250 in good condition is a pretty dang good deal...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode