alright guys...powervalve...explain - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Dirtbike Lounge Hang out and talk two wheels. For Tech and Racing specifically, see those forums below.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2002, 04:53 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

alright guys...powervalve...explain

ive seen one...ive heard of them...but ive no idea wtf they do....someone's gotta explain....does it give u more bottom? or top? or more hit or what? cuz back in like 96-97 they didn't exhist did they?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2002, 05:29 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: alright guys...powervalve...explain

2 strokes need back pressure to hold the intake charge in the cylinder since there are no valves ,just ports. thats why the pipe on a two stroke it shaped like such. the exhaust actaully keeps the intake charge in the cylinder before the piston closes the exhaust port. the power valve changes the size of the exhaust port depending on what rpm the motor is at. the power valve is there to increase the low end power of the bike. it keeps the port small at low rpm and opens as the the throttle and rpm increase. it works something similar to a centrifical clutch found on a go cart. a arm coming from the water pump lifts the valve as the crank spins faster. try taking a 250 mx bike and unhooking the powervalve. the bike will have no mid to top end what so ever. because at high rpm you need flow so the port is 4 times the size it is at idle. it moves almost like a gillotene(sp?)
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2002, 05:33 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

oh they have been on yzs since the early 80's. no bike had it tell they went liquad cooled. the cr 500 does not and never did. the kx 500 does. 125 and 250 have them. 80's 60's 50's dont. almost al bikes (2 stroke mx) have had them since the 81-82. 125s, 200s, 250s,300s,380s,. blasters dont. bashee's dont. 250r's dont. quad racers do. except the quad zila. i think.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2002, 03:05 PM

zillas did have them
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2002, 08:13 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

damn john...uve just taught me more than i learned in school this week...it's crazy...if im learning about something i like i catch on MADD quick, but if it's something that bores me...i don't learn....but that's cool, u know like ALOT...i thought they hadn't been their till like 5 or 6 years ago...thanx for the info man.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2002, 04:37 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

i can read about motors all day and how the bore and valve angles and duration along with port timing.......

start talking about the civil war and zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

i just keep reading about stuff. yeah they have been long for a long time now. the ones on the 2002 cr and 03 cr have servos that control, no linkage from the trans but a motor. start reading a about gp bikes (500cc twin two stroke super sport bikes) you ****t your pants at all the technology. 200hp. hondas race supersport is called the rc211v. v5. 2 cylinders in back and 3 up front. over 200hp at the wheel.

I LIKE IT ALOT. wait till you start reading about reciprecating mass and unsprung weight.... that makes my brain twitch. i like, i mean i love it though
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2002, 04:44 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

damn...200hp in a 500cc...now that would be nice...man..i was sittin in class the other day...spanish class...i put the fan on the window sill turned it up on medium...blowin like 3 inches from my face and just fell asleep...like a half hour later harry behind me smacks me in the head he's like dipsh!t, bran's talkin to you...and mr bran is like stevens, decided to join us? and im like...naahh....but what's the question? and he starts sayin some stuff in spanish i have no idea what he's sayin and i said me'amo(sp?) alphonso (i am alphonso) and he just starts crackin up..he's like nevermind stevens, i guess sleepin wasn't such a bad idea for you....man...im not too bad in chem, that doesn't bother me, but spanish is boorring....history isn't too bad...and geometry is...boring, then not too bad...then boring again....yefreakinhaw....yz, i read about bikes like every chance i get and always get yelled at for it by dad....gotta love it....freakin hitler lookin over me the whole time like im a naked jew about to jump in a fire pit...lol
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2002, 11:42 AM
Keyboard Implanted

You should'a replied..... uuhhhh, Gacumolieeee??? [img]images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2002, 06:30 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

kyron, u watch out man...time is closing...2 years...im outta here....im gonna come bug ur [censored] for a weekend....
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2002, 07:22 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

You're gonna do what to his WHAT?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode