oil cooler - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Dirtbike Lounge Hang out and talk two wheels. For Tech and Racing specifically, see those forums below.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-29-2002, 12:00 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

oil cooler

Was thinking about adding a oil cooler to my xt 550 dirtbike as this bike runs pretty hot. How hard would this be to do? Would a four wheeler cooler work on my bike?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-30-2002, 10:16 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: oil cooler

Are there oil lines already?

I'd think that Yam made the bike without one, and it's ran fine for YEARS with out one so why bother?

Unless you've upped the comp or somthing silly like that, the motor dosnt really get "that" hot
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-30-2002, 01:43 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

No I don't need one I just thought it would be a cool little mod. Your right it doesn't come with one and its got oil lines on it since it's a dry sump system. I was just wondering if it was worth the money and how much it would cool the motor down to get some power back when its hot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-30-2002, 03:18 PM
Alfie

If you're serious get hold of Mickey Dunlap at Four Stroke Tech in NY State. He has a cool kit which hooks into the oil gallery on the right side cover and has a small oil cooler that won't get in the way.
I fitted one to a Warrior I had, it was pretty easy and worked well.
But I only got peace of mind, didn't notice any more power. The power came from an FMF muffler and Pro Design air filter system. With all the mods it felt like a 500.
But having said all that, the Big Bear oil cooler fits over the oil filter setup which is the same on most yammy 4strokes.
But boy would that be bulky.
Besides having a dry sump with the frame reservoir is similar to an oil cooler anyway.
I have a TTR 250 and just change the oil with good semi synthetic 10w-40 every 2 to 3 trail rides, depending on how hard and long the rides are.
Alfie.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-31-2002, 08:21 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

The XR400 has an oil cooler. Check the microfiche at Troy Racing.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-31-2002, 10:58 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I not to serious just a idea I was thinking about. Maybe A guy could weld some cooling fins on the resveroir. It would kind of look dumb and take some time but I think that would help. Thanks xr400 for letting me know that. One think about engine running hot is the oil doesn't last to long. I change my oil a lot more often than any of my friends but around every 3 or 4 rides may be too often. I like to change mine just when it start turing blacking and getting thinner.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode