Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups

Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups (https://forums.off-road.com/forum.php)
-   Dirtbike Lounge (https://forums.off-road.com/dirtbike-lounge/)
-   -   yz 80 need some help. (https://forums.off-road.com/dirtbike-lounge/122365-yz-80-need-some-help.html)

**DONOTDELETE** 06-02-2002 11:56 AM

yz 80 need some help.

Bought my daughter a 80 and she can ride it fine. She is having problems with controllimg the speed , is there a way to adjust the throtle cable or put a gov. on it until she is use to the bikes power.

Thanks.

portgrinder 06-03-2002 08:16 PM

Re: yz 80 need some help.

you could try jetting it too fat, but that wouldn't be ideal. Try maybe using two head gaskets stacked ontop of each other, effectively lowering your compression and therefore power. you could also try adjusting the powervalve so it was as low as possible if teh bike has one

mikrosilakhan 06-03-2002 08:26 PM

you could alwasy put a tiny front sprocket on it and gear it way down... Its hard to say if it will make it better or worse. I would say one good way would be to restrict the exuast alittle.. Try and put a plate over the exuast that will make the hole smaller.. Dont clean the air filter till she fouls a plug... He's also right about th epower valve.. Im dont knwo which style yours is but usualy there is a rod coming up from the bootm end to the valve. If thats so taking the nut off and leave the rod disconnected will keep it from revving out.

portgrinder 06-07-2002 11:48 PM

DON'T PLUG THE PIPE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that will lead to detonation and actually give you more power. enlarging the exhaust exit is really what you want to do. trust me on that.

AND CLEAN THE DAMNED AIR FILTER. 80'S are hard enough to keep together as it is, don't speed up the wear process even faster.

the two head gastkets trick is your best bet

98Warrior 06-08-2002 11:40 AM

you could also put a bunch f slack in the throttle cable so it doesnt open the throttle all the way

mikrosilakhan 06-08-2002 04:17 PM

Uhhhh ya it will... thats why all mx stars run over there pipes with a semi right before the main event.. were the sam hell did you get that idea.... Apperentley for the last 75 years aftermarket companies have been doing it wrong the entire time making pipes breath more..

mikrosilakhan 06-08-2002 04:18 PM

Hey great idea warrior!

portgrinder 06-08-2002 08:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
my idea, I GOT IT FROM BUILDING PIPES. do not question me on this, i am right. a larger exit will give you slighlty better response that is it.

a 'tighter' exhaust will create more pressure in the pipe, hence stuffing the chamber more which gives you more power. a larger exit will bleed off more pressure, and in effect, take away some magnitiude of the pipe resonance. next time do your homework before jumping all over someone. by the way, heres a pic of the pipes developed for my sled.

mikrosilakhan 06-09-2002 02:46 PM

sorry danny dynoport..... Forgot you were god and knew it all...DOne my homework for the last 17 years of riding... We werent talking about building a whole new pipe... he want to mellow it down... Maybe ya need to go look at the beare facts that slowing down the output is goin to mellow the bike out. If the output was so unreasonably non important then changing stock spark arrestors off enduro bikes to a aftermarket one would mean nothing but noise...
try tossing ayz silencer onto a wr.... they bolt right on... guess what happens? it aint a small change

98Warrior 06-09-2002 08:53 PM

there is a difference between 4 and 2 stroke though..a 4 stroke needs the flow out but a two strokes pipe is completely different...i can see how a smaller pipe on a 2 stroke may give different results than on a thumper