New to dirtbikes... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Dirtbike Lounge Hang out and talk two wheels. For Tech and Racing specifically, see those forums below.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-21-2002, 07:22 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

New to dirtbikes...

Hey all... I've been riding quads for about 10 years now but I'm thinking about pickin up a dirtbike as well... just for basic riding, no competing or races quite yet... just local trails, etc in the area... I'm female, about 120lbs, 5'7"... I know w/ bikes you need to take in account your size, etc when lookin for the right one... Can anyone reccomend a good bike to start w/? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-22-2002, 01:00 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: New to dirtbikes...

Anything from a XR200 to KX100 or even a KDX200 wouldbe a good start.

Starting on KX100 would be nice because your feet can touch the ground very easy, while the KDX200 will be a taller but probley easier to ride...

OR you could get a Yam TTR225 with electric start?

Its best to start on a beginer bike and work your way up.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-22-2002, 04:42 AM
mikrosilakhan

YEa pretty much any bike is going to have a ton of power for your weight. Id personaly go with one of the four strokes if your gonna play. There just smoother and a little more pleasent all around to ride. Then if you decide its not enough go with the kdx or something likethat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-22-2002, 09:41 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

See Kyron, when someone on a quad gives up and decides to ride dirtbikes, it gives you that feeling of hope for this world. Kinda like finding the cure for cancer or something.

Yes, a four stroke will be smoother for you to learn on but they're heavier than a two stroke. What about a 125 MX'er with a cut down seat foam?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-22-2002, 09:51 AM

Another one coming over from the dark side! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] I agree with Kyron, and think the Yamaha TTR 225 is a good starting place, electric start, not too tall, not too expensive, and it's a 4 stroke.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-22-2002, 12:23 PM
Keyboard Implanted

But I forgot to ask her how old she is... thats important [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-22-2002, 01:31 PM

Well, lets see, sentence structure seems to be good, a little slang but that’s ok, only misspelled one word, she's been riding for about 10yrs, she's light and tall, I'm guessing 19-23.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-22-2002, 07:06 PM
mikrosilakhan

dude shes 5'7 ya wouldnt need to cut the foam down at all [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Im all for mx bikes.. ive owned 250's for the last 10 years almost and have a 426 now but id ride a xr any day before a 125 mxer.. its just plain annoying having them blattin all the time. Unless shes gonan be on the track all the time wich then i guess thats what i would want. its not fair for me to jusdge though , at 190 pounds i ride my buddys mega trick 125's and i feel like im gonna go backwards if they were any slower.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-23-2002, 12:27 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Alright... ya guys have lost me now! LOL... I'm gonna have to write down all those numbers and try and research all these bikes... and I'm still keeping my quads!! I enjoy all of the toys (cars, trucks, boats, bikes, you name it)... aaannndd what does my age have to do w/ anything? LOL... to be fair since you guys answered my questions, I'll answer yours... I'm 20, countin down to the end of June for the 21st Bday (I expect cards from all of ya [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] jk)
post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-23-2002, 02:38 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Sweet ..... Where to I send the card to?

A better question about what bike to get is how much $$ do you have to spend....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode