Electrical Uh oh - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Dirtbike Lounge Hang out and talk two wheels. For Tech and Racing specifically, see those forums below.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-19-2002, 03:06 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Electrical Uh oh

I've got me a big problem .. well its little , ,but big. Here's hte scoop. Its a street bike , a 400 maxim (yamaha), but it sohuldnt really matter i dont think. Ok, I've got 4 fuses, theres a 20 Amp main, and three 10 amps, for headlamp, signal lights, and ignition. Bear with me that this is gonna be real hard to explain. Ok. with all fuses in place, the bike will start, idle blah blah blah, everything works perfect. The neutral light comes on in neutral. However, whenyou put the bike into gear, she cuts out (like loses spark). Ok, step one explained.
When you pull the signal light fuse out, she does the same. However, if you pull the signal light fuse out AND turn the signal light switch either way, so that the signals should be on, they dont come on... but the bike runs perfect. She goes into gear and all that jazz, and every thing is fine, except the signals and horn don't work. However, in this scenario, the neutral light is on while the bike is in gear, but not while it's in neutral. (the light is only on when she's running). As soon as you turn the signal light switch off, she cuts out. Im lost here guys.. someone PLEASE help me!!!! The odd thing is, i did have it working right by fiddling with the fusebox wires a couple times, but it worked fine for a bit, then she'd just start doin the stupid thing again. This is buggin the hell outta me , because its something so little it seems. I've tried all new fuses and stuff, but no solution yet.. anyone have any ideas?

Evan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-20-2002, 12:11 AM
mikrosilakhan

Re: Electrical Uh oh

probably just a wire worn through and grounding out somewere. Try bypassing the kickstand safety switch to.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-20-2002, 10:01 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

The bike is possessed.....Sacrafice two chickens and dance around it naked.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-20-2002, 10:26 AM
mikrosilakhan

thats cruel!!!..... sacrafice two cats
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-20-2002, 10:41 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

It didn't work?[img]images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

If there was a bad short then it'd be blowing fuses. Or should be anyway. Was the previous owner fawkin' with the wiring? Was the bike in an accident at one time? Pull the headlight shell apart, and take the tank off and trace all the wiring making sure blue connects to blue, yellow to yellow, blah, blah, blah.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-20-2002, 11:36 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

ACtually yeah, the bike was in a very minor accident. The previous owners genius nephew, who didnt know how to drive, decided to try the bike . went out the driveway, straight across the road and into the ditch.. bent a signal light arm, craced a mirror, uhh.. lost a lens.. nothin serious. ..but yeah .. i guess im gonna have to do al lthat tracing .. boooo. . kidna sucks. it seems like the headlamp and signal light fuses are half blown.. .if u know what i mean. . brown inside the glass.. but i put new ones in and it didnt happen to them. I justhate to think of all that tracing . sounds like a job for a case of beer and two stools . and of course a buddy. .thanks guys.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-20-2002, 12:09 PM
mikrosilakhan

yae theres nothing more annyoing than electrical problems. I always give it 5 minutes then take it to my buddy and pay him
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-20-2002, 12:12 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Yep, trace the wires and clean the whole fuse box area with some electrica contact cleaner.

Do you have an Ohm meter? if not get one, that wil help alot.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-20-2002, 12:22 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thats the trouble .. . you know when people give it 5 minutes, then take it to their buddy and pay him? well I'M that buddy. So what do i do? heh heh .. i'll have to pay myself. .then it'll be worthwhile.. .heh heh heh. . Yeah . .i got an ohm meter, all that jazz. . a billion meters.. . just hate to sit down and trace all them wires. .booooo. . heh heh . .. thats the project for after work tonite.

Evan
post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-20-2002, 10:45 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

thats it. . im pissed. heh . .i took off the tank and headlamp and all that jazz. .tested the wires and stufff.. couldnt find anything outta the ordinary. so i put it back together, and it seemed to wrok fine. . The high-beam dashlight, which didnt work all that well before (only came on when it felt like it) worked perfect too. Everything was perfect, so i figured i had it fixed. Put her all back together, and took her for a couple rides, everything was A-OK... but i left her for 20 minutes, came back, and she did the same thing as before. The high-beam dashlight works fine still ( i thought it might have had something to do with that.. but i guess i was wrong).. Its really pissing me off. I'm thinking its prolly a bad connection in the front end, where she was in an accident before.. what do u guys think?

Evan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode